Recommended device for SLOG on Mini XL+?

GeorgiaGuy

Cadet
(I'm surprised this didn't show up in a search, but maybe my Google-Fu isn't up to par today.)

I've recently purchased a Mini XL+, and I'm using it as an NFS target for Xenserver machines. It's connected to the pool via 10-Gig Ethernet (as a failover pair) and I'd like to keep synchronous writes turned on. I'm looking for a fast device to use as an intent log to maximize performance.

It looks like the preferred way to do this is to use one of the 2.5" SATA bays (just based on the design) but it looks as if I might be able to use an M.2 on the motherboard, or even something like an Optane 900P in a PCI slot. Assuming, of course, that combination of TrueNAS/Mini-XL+ will support it.

Is there a go-to device I should be looking at? Or a preferred class of device?

(The 900P looks to cost a bit over $400 and I'd prefer to keep things in that price range or a bit lower.)

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Welcome. FreeNAS/TrueNAS has good support for NVMe devices now, and they can be added as pool devices.

There is a single PCIe 3.0 x4 slot, so if you don't anticipate needing it for other purposes, an Optane 900p/905p can be fitted there (and will be significantly faster than a SATA-based solution) - if this is an enterprise/business solution you might want to look at an Optane P4801X card and M.2 22110 adaptor card instead, as the DC P-series cards are warrantied for use in a shared-storage situation. If it's a homelab, go ahead with the consumer solutions.

I don't know if any of the more exotic second-hand solutions like the Radiant Memory RMS-200 are supported in the Mini XL+ due to their higher power consumption/physical dimensions, but that's another option as well. Check physical slot space and ventilation requirements.

GeorgiaGuy

Cadet
Thanks, Honeybadger. That Optane P4801X in 100MB capacity looks like a solid fit for what I'm looking to do. I appreciate the pointer. :)