FreeNAS Corral: The long road to 10 RELEASE has reached its destination (but heralds new beginning)

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jkh

Please note that Corral has been pulled from Release status. See this post for more information:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/important-announcement-regarding-freenas-corral.53502/

For information on migrating away from Corral, see this Resource:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ng-from-freenas-corral-to-freenas-9-10-11.36/

The original post follows below, in spoiler tags:

I'm happy to announce the launch of FreeNAS 10 RELEASE and, at the same time, the renaming of “10” to “Corral”, a new name befitting what is also a radically new version of FreeNAS!

With all of the new features in FreeNAS 10, as well as its entirely new look, we decided that just slapping a “10” into the release string simply didn’t do justice to the giant evolutionary step we took with this release. The version numbering scheme we’ve been using has also been increasingly inaccurate (see my State Of the Union #6 video above for more details), since we stopped basing our release numbers on that of the underlying FreeBSD OS. “FreeNAS Corral” provides a more holistic description of this release and sets it apart from previous FreeNAS versions: It manages storage, containers, and VM services through one unified interface, making it the most powerful FreeNAS release yet. So, to sum it up, what you knew as FreeNAS 10 is now FreeNAS Corral!

I also want to take this opportunity to make it clear that we did not create FreeNAS Corral in a vacuum. It was a collaborative effort between the FreeNAS development team and literally thousands of users. We listened to your feedback in the form of thousands of tickets, and your feedback made the product immeasurably better. We hope and expect that process to remain a vital part of continuing this journey because FreeNAS Corral remains 100% Open Source and has all the same features as FreeNAS 10, it’s simply a new brand to describe this effort going forward.

If you find something that you think we can do better, we want to hear about it, though please make sure to read this thread before opening any tickets in the FreeNAS Corral bug tracker. The FreeNAS Corral development team will review and respond to every ticket that you open.

Let’s also talk about FreeNAS 9 for a moment: Many users are currently happy with FreeNAS 9.10 and expressed a desire to stick with it. That is totally fine, and we will continue to support FreeNAS 9.10 for a long time to come - as long as there is an audience for this technology, we will continue to release fixes and updates as appropriate.

You can download both FreeNAS Corral and FreeNAS 9.10 here. If you are running FreeNAS 9.10 or 10 you can also upgrade straight to FreeNAS Corral. To upgrade, simply select the new FreeNAS-Corral-STABLE train from the Update tab of the FreeNAS 9.10 or 10 GUI, or install FreeNAS Corral from the ISO image and pick the option to install into a new Boot Environment.

Either option will allow you to roll backwards and forwards between 9 or 10 and Corral at your leisure, just like any other update, because from the perspective of the updater, that’s exactly what it is!

UPDATE: Due to the train-switching involved between FreeNAS 10 and FreeNAS Corral, we also had a few folks run into a glitch which we've now fixed. If you find yourself inexplicably on a "Nightlies" train, or immediately after installing FreeNAS Corral you see a problem with not being able to install Docker images, please do this command in the CLI: !freenas-update --r -T FreeNAS-Corral-STABLE update - that should fix you up!

In addition to the State of the Union video, a series of tutorial videos will also be going up shortly which describe in much greater detail how to use each and every feature of FreeNAS corral - please keep an eye open for the announcements in this forum.

Welcome to the FreeNAS Corral train!

On behalf of the FreeNAS Corral Dev Team,

Last edited by a moderator:

Xyrgh

Explorer
Congrats on the release! I previously discussed with the FreeNAS team on getting some high resolution images of the new logo for our appliances. Is this still a possibility?

Congratulations on the launch!

It's been interesting watching and following along as it took shape and there was a certain vicarious pleasure in seeing all those pesky bugs getting squished.

I had heard rumours of the new name a few weeks back and I must admit, I was a bit unsure but having had a bit of time and having read the reasoning behind it, I must say that I think it's great. You've all put in a hell of a lot of work into Corral and I completely agree that it deserves to be recognised as something new and significant.

I do have a question about the name though. Is it gonna be a Linux distro/Android version/Mac OS kind of deal in that each significant new release gets a name but still has a version number? And will that version number of the new release still be 10 or are you planning something new to further clarify the move away from following the BSD version numbering?

I can't wait to try it out once I get some free time to dedicate to it.

Last edited:
S

Suraj Ravichandran

For those looking for FAQs and generic information on migrating from FreeNAS 9 to FreeNAS Corral please see this wiki entry that I made: https://wiki.freenas.org/index.php/Migration_how-to's_and_FAQs
If you still have any doubts please feel free to ask.
Or if you have any suggestions to make for this wiki you can still ping me and I shall incorporate these improvements.

J

jkh

I do have a question about the name though. Is it gonna be a Linux distro/Android version/Mac OS kind of deal in that each significant new release gets a name but still has a version number? And will that version number of the new release still be 10 or are you planning something new to further clarify the move away from following the BSD version numbering?
There will be an internal version number (10.0, 10.1, 10.2.1, etc) for engineering purposes but everyone else just gets to know it by its code name. Maybe if we get lucky, at some point major versions can get their own sub-code name, like Corral Mustang, Corral Colt, Corral Blazing Saddles... Ah well, a guy can dream right? :D

Aaron Gould

Cadet
Congratulations, and thanks to all the developers for the time and effort put into FreeNAS.

Personally I'm going to wait a few weeks to let the dust settle before I upgrade my 9.10 install. Very much looking forward to using the new version!

nojohnny101

Wizard
Congratulations to everyone who had work so hard of Corral's development. Can't wait to try it out.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Congratulations to everyone involved. I really enjoyed helping with a bug ticket or two and the responsiveness especially to my #1 feature request was just great. Once I find out how to get Windows 7 VMs from VMware ESXi into bhyve and finished preparing a few other things, plans are to move our company Vcenter environment to FreeNAS.

Thanks for all the fish!
Patrick

michael.keller

Dabbler
First of all: Congrats and thank you for your efforts!
I tried to download Corral form the download page, but I assume I was a bit early ;) It's still named RC1 and the link points to a FreeNAS-Corral-RELEASE.iso, which doesn't exist in this directory....and https://download.freenas.org/ is browsable, not sure if this is meant to be like that...

Stanri010

Explorer
So where did the name Corral come from?

diedrichg

Wizard

Stanri010

Explorer
That's not what I'm asking...

I'm asking the history behind the name and how'd it come to be?

Was it like this?

giphy.gif

Last edited:

ryanhunt

Dabbler
Congratulations to all involved, well done. I've been using FreeNAS for many years, and I'm a huge fan. Really - I love your work.

I must say though - after testing 10-nightlies for the past few weeks, it still feels a little premature as it still doesn't yet feel "finished". The UI on my bare metal still behaves strangely from time to time, and the fact I (and many others) still cannot get a basic Windows VM running worries me that many users will be seeing this and upgrading from an excellent (but with a much inferior UI) 9.10. There isn't a clear/easy upgrade path from VirtualBox/jails to bhyve/containers. The upgrade path will be even worse for those coming from FreeNAS 9.3 - given the changes with jails from 9.3 -> 9.10.

Secondly, I must say too that the naming scheme is a step backwards. Sure, call it 'Corral' - but as the code name much like macOS does with Sierra, and Ubuntu with it's naming scheme. Regular people refer to it as 'Sierra' but in all documentation, UI, etc refer to is as 'macOS 10.12'. 10 Sounds impressive, it's a milestone release - Corral is a step backward. Corel draw (although spelled differently) was always a poor cousin to Adobe Photoshop - and this is immediately what I think about it.

Your product is FreeNAS, and it should be just that - don't give it another name. It's not too late - you can still roll back to FreeNAS 10 in the forums, UI etc - but still refer to it as 'Corral'.

Jeremy

TrueNAS Marketing Team
iXsystems
Congratulations to all involved, well done. I've been using FreeNAS for many years, and I'm a huge fan. Really - I love your work.

I must say though - after testing 10-nightlies for the past few weeks, it still feels a little premature as it still doesn't yet feel "finished". The UI on my bare metal still behaves strangely from time to time, and the fact I (and many others) still cannot get a basic Windows VM running worries me that many users will be seeing this and upgrading from an excellent (but with a much inferior UI) 9.10. There isn't a clear/easy upgrade path from VirtualBox/jails to bhyve/containers. The upgrade path will be even worse for those coming from FreeNAS 9.3 - given the changes with jails from 9.3 -> 9.10.

Secondly, I must say too that the naming scheme is a step backwards. Sure, call it 'Corral' - but as the code name much like macOS does with Sierra, and Ubuntu with it's naming scheme. Regular people refer to it as 'Sierra' but in all documentation, UI, etc refer to is as 'macOS 10.12'. 10 Sounds impressive, it's a milestone release - Corral is a step backward. Corel draw (although spelled differently) was always a poor cousin to Adobe Photoshop - and this is immediately what I think about it.

Your product is FreeNAS, and it should be just that - don't give it another name. It's not too late - you can still roll back to FreeNAS 10 in the forums, UI etc - but still refer to it as 'Corral'.

Thanks for the input on the name Ryan. We didn't arbitrarily change the name, there was alot of thought that went into this. The name 'FreeNAS Corral' is one part of a long term plan to unify the brands of the free open source software with it's enterprise big brother (currently called TrueNAS).

Stay tuned and trust the process. It'll make perfect sense in due time. :)

Last edited:

brando56894

Wizard
Well today is finally the day huh guys? It's been a long two years but well worth it! Congratulations to everyone at iX Systems, I know you guys have been busting your a$$es over the past few months (more than the past 1.5 years lol) due to the influx of new users/testers and I'm sure I made at least one of you pull your hair out with at least one of my tickets hahaha Now on to tacking all the SU1 tickets! :D

Thanks for the input on the name Ryan. We didn't arbitrarily change the name, there was alot of thought that went into this. The name 'FreeNAS Corral' is one part of a long term plan to unify the brands of the free open source software with it's enterprise big brother (currently called TrueNAS).

Stay tuned and trust the process. It'll make perfect sense in due time. :)

Is that so Jeremy :D I'll still be referring to it as FreeNAS 10 because old habits die hard hahaha

Osiris

Contributor
Great news! I'll get migrating soon.
Congratz to the team.

Twanislas

Explorer
Noooo ! I will never leave the nightlies train ! :mad:

Jokes apart, great work out there guys. The effort you put into this is outstanding. Thanks a lot for all the kind and prompt answers on the forums as well, that's somewhat unexpected to be able to have such a close relationship between the dev team and the end users !

Leonardo-DiCaprio-Clap.gif

Jeremy

TrueNAS Marketing Team
iXsystems
just added jkh's SOU video to his post on top, here too

Status
Not open for further replies.