FreeNAS boot disk issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomasNZ78

Dabbler
Hi there

I'm running FreeNAS-9.10.2-U3 (e1497f269) and recently I started getting this message:
The capacity for the volume 'freenas-boot' is currently at 96%, while the recommended value is below 80%

My boot is on 16GB USB (mirrored) and I only have one boot instance, so I don't understand how it can be full. Before, on a previous versions I could have 5 boot instances and never have this error pop out.

Should I use 32GB USB or is there anything else I can do to remain using my 16GB one

TomasNZ78

Dabbler
I have used antoher 2x16GB usb's (in mirror) and created a pool called DATA on it and used it for system data set. in Storage-Volumes it shows that the data set uses only 43MB

danb35

Hall of Famer
Do you not have a storage pool that you could put .system on? And did you do this after your first post, or was it already the case? If you did it after your first post, what did it do you your freenas-boot pool usage?

TomasNZ78

Dabbler
Yes, I can put data pool on one of my storage pools. I started getting this message after I've moved the data pool onto the 16GB usb. It is weird tho as I have been using the 16gb for data before on u2 and never had an issue with it. seeing that the data pool uses only 49mb out of 15GB makes me also question that the error message is associated with location of the data pool. but I'm a rookie in regards to freenas.

Stux

MVP
Does that mean the swap is on the USBs too?

TomasNZ78

Dabbler
good question. I don't know. if moving data pool also moves the swap then yes. (I didn't think that this will be the case I thought the swap will be created on storage pools) how can I check is swaps are also on my data usb? I have five storage pools (screen shot attached) I use my 120GB SSD for jails and backup so I could move my data pool to it too. Would that be a good move?

Attachments

• screenshot.JPG
    screenshot.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 352

danb35

Hall of Famer
Does that mean the swap is on the USBs too?
No, swap isn't on the .system dataset; it's on the 2 GB (by default) partitions created at the beginning of each disk you use in your storage pool.

TomasNZ78

Dabbler
thanks Dan. I still don't know why I get the warning about capacity of my system (screenshot attached)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 357

TomasNZ78

Dabbler
ok, I have installed ver 11 from scratch and now my system takes 5% of the 16GB capacity. It was some odd glitch that happen to me on the old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.