capacity for the volume 'freenas-boot' is currently at 93%

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
The capacity for the volume 'freenas-boot' is currently at 93%, while the recommended value is below 80%

and I have 8GB boot drives....??

You can start by removing some unneeded boot environments.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You have to manually delete snapshots of older versions once in a while. The task of choosing which ones to delete is deliberately assigned to the admin.

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
thanks guys, didn't know this, I thought it was automated. Is there a way to automate this process? I think the boot drives may have got too full on the late update. unable to start FreeNAS since the last update...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
thanks guys, didn't know this, I thought it was automated. Is there a way to automate this process? I think the boot drives may have got too full on the late update. unable to start FreeNAS since the last update...
No, not really.

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
Well I've deleted all these boot environments now and performed a most recent update. New message:
he boot volume state is DEGRADED: One or more devices could not be opened. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.

So I want to scrub the boot drives as I believe this would fix this issue? But every time I try to "scrub boot drive now" nothing really happens..?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well I've deleted all these boot environments now and performed a most recent update. New message:
he boot volume state is DEGRADED: One or more devices could not be opened. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.

So I want to scrub the boot drives as I believe this would fix this issue? But every time I try to "scrub boot drive now" nothing really happens..?
One of the drives is broken. Replace it.

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
ok. Thanks for your response. New message:
"One or more devices is currently being resilvered. The pool will continue to function, possibly in a degraded state."

I guess i'll need to wait until after the "scrub" "resilvering" for it to determine if this USB is indeed bad?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
ok. Thanks for your response. New message:
"One or more devices is currently being resilvered. The pool will continue to function, possibly in a degraded state."

I guess i'll need to wait until after the "scrub" "resilvering" for it to determine if this USB is indeed bad?

Hmm, it started resilvering on its own?
Sounds like the boot drive might have crashed under the pressure of the random writes involved in deleting the old snapshots, only to come back.

What kind of drives are you using?

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
I figured resilivering was the same as scrubbing? I had click scrub boot drives several times, nothing was happening at all, until I restarted FreeNAS and then it said resilvering.
A day later, It now says:
Boot Volume Condition: ONLINE One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I figured resilivering was the same as scrubbing?
A resilver is kinda like a scrub, but they're different. Scrubs are regular checks and resilvers serve to restore redundancy.

But yeah, the device seems to be failing, so that's your cue to replace it.

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
how do I know which one, I have 2 drives in a mirrored (RAID 1). It doesn't seem to indicate...

I don't believe this.. the reason I went to mirrored is because I had a drive fail before.. brand new, high end USB.
Now... 2 high end USB 8gb USB 3.0 drives and failing again? Something doesn't seem right

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
We've noticed that USB drives are incredibly unreliable devices outside of their "write infrequently and sequentially, read a couple of times" design scenario.

how do I know which one, I have 2 drives in a mirrored (RAID 1). It doesn't seem to indicate...
Shut down, remove one, reboot and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.