[FreeNAS 9 Plugin] - MineOS

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Great thanks. Is that relevant? the java location I mean?
Because the command I use to start the server is just "java -Xms2048M -Xmx4096M -XX:MaxPermSize=128M -jar spigot-1.8.8.jar"

thanks again
yes it is, because the path I gave you isn't in the standard $PATH. so if you ran 'java' your shell wouldn't know where to find it.

paradoxiom

Patron
yes it is, because the path I gave you isn't in the standard $PATH. so if you ran 'java' your shell wouldn't know where to find it.

ah! I see. do I need to append the path to the run command then? could you show me the correct format if possible?

thanks!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
ah! I see. do I need to append the path to the run command then? could you show me the correct format if possible?

thanks!
yes, or add the pbi directory to your $PATH
Code:
/usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/bin/java -Xms2048M -Xmx4096M -XX:MaxPermSize=128M -jar spigot-1.8.8.jar"

paradoxiom

Patron
Alright buddy, I reinstalled the latest stable release and the plugin seems much more stable, however it is still crashing for seemingly no reason at all - HOWEVER - the server itself still runs and I am able to connect to it, if I turn the plugin back on after it crashes, I can sometimes get back to the web UI, but even refreshing the page seems to cause a crash. I don't need to do much in the webUI anyway once the server is running, but in the event I'm unable to access the plugin web ui, do you know how I would go about issuing commands to the server.jar via SSH?

I used PuTTY and navigated to /mnt/OrbitalHub/Jails/mineos_1/var/games/minecraft/servers/TestServer and tried sending commands but it says not recognized, so i'm obviously missing an important step, any ideas?

thanks again for all your help!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Alright buddy, I reinstalled the latest stable release and the plugin seems much more stable, however it is still crashing for seemingly no reason at all - HOWEVER - the server itself still runs and I am able to connect to it, if I turn the plugin back on after it crashes, I can sometimes get back to the web UI, but even refreshing the page seems to cause a crash. I don't need to do much in the webUI anyway once the server is running, but in the event I'm unable to access the plugin web ui, do you know how I would go about issuing commands to the server.jar via SSH?

I used PuTTY and navigated to /mnt/OrbitalHub/Jails/mineos_1/var/games/minecraft/servers/TestServer and tried sending commands but it says not recognized, so i'm obviously missing an important step, any ideas?

thanks again for all your help!
I think you could su to the mcserver user, then attach to the screen session. you may need to change the mcserver user's shell first with "chsh -s /bin/sh mcserver"

navigating to that location doesn't really do anything... You need to enter the jail's userland to manipulate the processing running in the jail.

paradoxiom

Patron
navigating to that location doesn't really do anything... You need to enter the jail's userland to manipulate the processing running in the jail.

Yeah, I knew I was missing something. it's a lot to remember.,

Hey thanks,

I've posted more details of the issue on the mineos support forum here, however it may be a permissions problem somewhere in freenas that you could help with, would you mind taking a look?

http://discourse.codeemo.com/t/issue-regarding-ownership-and-disk-usage-rights-picture/925

thanks again

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I knew I was missing something. it's a lot to remember.,

Hey thanks,

I've posted more details of the issue on the mineos support forum here, however it may be a permissions problem somewhere in freenas that you could help with, would you mind taking a look?

http://discourse.codeemo.com/t/issue-regarding-ownership-and-disk-usage-rights-picture/925

thanks again
I'm confused what your issue you are trying to solve is. I thought you said the mineos wasn't working for you at all, but know you show screenshots from the webui.

maybe mineos is just confused about how you copied over the world? the mineos forum members would know more about how mineos gets the info. whenever I restore a world from somewhere else I personally just create a new server in mineos, then replace the world folder with the old one.

paradoxiom

Patron
I'm confused what your issue you are trying to solve is. I thought you said the mineos wasn't working for you at all, but know you show screenshots from the webui.

maybe mineos is just confused about how you copied over the world? the mineos forum members would know more about how mineos gets the info. whenever I restore a world from somewhere else I personally just create a new server in mineos, then replace the world folder with the old one.

The mineOS UI works intermittently, I'm able to sometimes access it fine and then it'll crash, but as I say the server itself keeps running, but I'm trying to figure out why the permissions at the bottom are messed up.

I did exactly what you did really, I just copied the other server files over to the newly created one.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
The mineOS UI works intermittently, I'm able to sometimes access it fine and then it'll crash, but as I say the server itself keeps running, but I'm trying to figure out why the permissions at the bottom are messed up.

I did exactly what you did really, I just copied the other server files over to the newly created one.
not sure then =\ maybe mineos guys would know more.

paradoxiom

Patron

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Yeah, thanks for trying to help :) I appreciate it.
hmm, I'm starting to have issues with the mineos webui as well. I think it's because the version of node.js I'm shipping is very old. I'll try updating it and post an update to the plugin if this fixes it.

paradoxiom

Patron
I think you could su to the mcserver user, then attach to the screen session. you may need to change the mcserver user's shell first with "chsh -s /bin/sh mcserver"

Regarding this, when in the servers jail, how do I go about doing that stuff? I mean I wouldn't know where to begin on how to switch to the server user etc. would help when I can't get on the web UI.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Regarding this, when in the servers jail, how do I go about doing that stuff? I mean I wouldn't know where to begin on how to switch to the server user etc. would help when I can't get on the web UI.
by default the server user would be mcserver. first give the user a proper shell (only needs to be done once) then "su mcserver" then use screen to list your screen windows. I'd google a screen tutorial, as I'm new to it as well

paradoxiom

Patron
well, I did /restart ingame hoping it would restart, but the server simply shut down and did not come back up. the mineos plugin doesn't let me access the web-ui at all anymore, and I can't figure out how to start it from the shell :( does ANYBODY know? I really need to get this back up for my buddies...

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
well, I did /restart ingame hoping it would restart, but the server simply shut down and did not come back up. the mineos plugin doesn't let me access the web-ui at all anymore, and I can't figure out how to start it from the shell :( does ANYBODY know? I really need to get this back up for my buddies...
shell won't work as mineos doesn't get a chance to startup, the latest commits of mineos-node won't work on FreeBSD 9.3 (which is the underlying OS of FreeNAS 9.3.1).
https://github.com/hexparrot/mineos-node/issues/95#issuecomment-161278716

A fresh install of the plugin without running 'mineos update' should work so I suggest you try that again.

paradoxiom

Patron
shell won't work as mineos doesn't get a chance to startup, the latest commits of mineos-node won't work on FreeBSD 9.3 (which is the underlying OS of FreeNAS 9.3.1).
https://github.com/hexparrot/mineos-node/issues/95#issuecomment-161278716

A fresh install of the plugin without running 'mineos update' should work so I suggest you try that again.

Thanks, I don't know why I didn't think of that, I guess I assumed reinstalling it would just simply install the latest version of it. Did a new install and copied the files over, working fine for now :)

thanks again!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Thanks, I don't know why I didn't think of that, I guess I assumed reinstalling it would just simply install the latest version of it. Did a new install and copied the files over, working fine for now :)

thanks again!
great, hopefully we can find a workaround eventually

paradoxiom

Patron

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
will you post an update in this thread when it can be service mineos update-d? thanks again
yeah, i'll try debugging it further sometime in the coming weeks. And post here if someone figures it out

paradoxiom

Patron
I updated the plugin today and there was a new update - is that you or is that direct from the plugin dev? Either way, still didn't seem to fix my issue of not being able to access the webUI.

Any word on your debugging? At this point if I need to make any changes that involve taking the server down I have to start an entirely new jail and transfer the files over so I can get the webUI working for about an hour before it breaks.

Is there no easy way to just install it manually in the jail? I tried following a guide on this forum but it seemed outdated and didn't work.