freenas 9.2.1.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingkongva

Cadet
newbie here
my hardware is hp proliant microserver, 8gb ram, 3 hdd
download to usb and installed, no problem. got an ip address. went to a desktop and type in the ip address. got in, asked for new password, entered twice , no problem here
anyway, once i logged out and log back in, they asked for user names. well i didnt have user names to log in. so i went back to the hp to reset the password, selected number 7, went back to my desktop and entered the ip address, then asked to type in pw twice again, did that, this time i went to created user and gave a user a dif pw. log out but could not log back in under the new user i created. what am i doing wrong. i have been searching the forum but couldnt find an answer. i have no background in network. all the term in here is like a dif language...i know the answer is very easy but for the life of me, i couldnt figure it out...help

warri

Guru
You can only log in to the WebGUI with the root user.

kingkongva

Cadet
so in order access my nas from a dif desktop, i have to reset the pw on the microserver everytime?

ser_rhaegar

Patron
No, login with username "root" and the password you set.

kingkongva

Cadet
ok, stupid me, will try it when i get home. thank you very much ser rhaegar , more challenge ahead

kingkongva

Cadet
thank you it work. also i have tried to set up another user with names and pw . for some reason, i log out and cant log in with the new user names and pw..thank in advance..still alot of learning to do

joeschmuck

Old Man
thank you it work. also i have tried to set up another user with names and pw . for some reason, i log out and cant log in with the new user names and pw..thank in advance..still alot of learning to do
Are you saying you cannot log in with the new user name via the WebGui? Any new accounts you create would be for SSH, FTP, or some other access.

kingkongva

Cadet
yes, i was trying to access the server with new account user names and pw from another desktop via chrome, keep on saying wrong pw or something like that

warri

Guru
You can only log in to the WebGUI with the root user.

This. No other users can log into the WebGUI!

And it wouldn't be necessary, since you share data via services, e.g. CIFS or FTP.

kingkongva

Cadet
thank you wari, newbie at this, another stupid question,,so what is the point of creating another user ? what i am trying to do is to assign dif user from 2 or 3 loc in the us so that we can shares the kids pics among families members

warri

Guru
As I mentioned, you can use those users to provide access to services running on the FreeNAS server.
For example if you are only using Windows clients, a CIFS share would be a good mean of sharing your pictures.

I get the feeling that you should read through the FreeNAS manual and gain an understanding of the basic terms used and the various functionalities offered by FreeNAS before taking further steps.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Lol, I figured that was the problem even though it was pointed out once before, I didn't want to assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.