FreeNAS 9.2.0 Ubuntu 13.04 Jail Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattyman

Dabbler
Curious, what are you trying to get running on a Ubuntu jail, and why not focus on getting it running on a native FreeBSD jail instead?

For me personally I've been wanting to learn how to use Linux for a while but never actually got around to it. Finding something that's broken and working out how to fix it is, in my opinion, one of the best ways to learn.

I've just been trying to install basic stuff ... Apache and PHP mainly to see if I can get it going. I figured documenting it on here might help someone else who's actually trying to do something with it.

david kennedy

Explorer
I'm actually watching the thread as i was curious as to what was broken in the Ubuntu jail as well.
My view was if it was going to be a struggle to get the jail working, or a struggle to get it in a native jail the native route seemed to make more sense.

Agree, it is a good learning exercise.

freenas4n00b

Explorer
Some of us are really good with linux and just started learning freebsd. It would normally take me 15 mins to get a LAMP stack running in linux but it is taking me days to get a FAMP stack running using ports / pkg install.

I admit it is a deficiency of knowledge in BSD on my part. However i feel that a feature should just work if it is advertised or added to the known issues list.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I think there was some expectations of growing pains when linux jails were created. Everyone on the FreeNAS development team is hardcore FreeBSD/PCBSD users. I'm not sure how much experience they actually have with Linux itself(especially the various versions offered).

david kennedy

Explorer
Some of us are really good with linux and just started learning freebsd. It would normally take me 15 mins to get a LAMP stack running in linux but it is taking me days to get a FAMP stack running using ports / pkg install.

I admit it is a deficiency of knowledge in BSD on my part. However i feel that a feature should just work if it is advertised or added to the known issues list.

I am in a similar boat (moving from linux). I was surprised i wasn't able to just install PHP and get the Apache plugin without building it from sources.

Flip side i feel FreeNas has a great gui combined with ease of use and ZFS. My current NAS runs Solaris 11.1 and i am looking to convert it but its going to be a challenge as the ZFS versions are not compatible. Getting the apps up and running on FreeNas was much easier then Solaris, but still harder then linux.

Alchete

Dabbler
Curious, what are you trying to get running on a Ubuntu jail, and why not focus on getting it running on a native FreeBSD jail instead?

I was just searching on a FreeNAS / Ubuntu jail and found this thread. One reason to use Ubuntu would be for Android (or other software) development -- Google's ADT SDK runs very easily on Ubuntu, not so much on FreeBSD. With FreeNAS, I already have a server running all the time, I could have an Ubuntu VNC running with Eclipse and Android and, in theory, access it from anywhere in the world.

So, I'm really happy to see FreeNAS start supporting linux jails. Has there been any improvement to the Ubuntu experience with 9.2.1.1?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The linux conversion layer(or whatever it's called.. the name escapes me right now) isn't being actively developed. I'd expect zero differences between 9.2.1.1 and all future version until things change.

I've heard rumors of the layer being rewritten and made compatible with 64-bit linux, but don't quote me because I don't have a clue how reliable my sources are.

I would definitely not start using the layer expecting to see major improvements in 2014.

tanik1

Contributor
Hi, um should i start a new thread for this or could i ask in this thread? sorry. But i was searching and i am not sure how to access other type of jails. Like i installed ubuntu but i dont know how to access it. Like the pluginjail i had to jexec 1 tcsh and i was in it. But for ubuntu I am not sure. I tried that but didnt work. I tried to ssh into the ip address but it still connect to the freenas not the jail. Could someone help me? thank you.

mullcom

Explorer
You need to get you through the Gui [web site]
Hi, um should i start a new thread for this or could i ask in this thread? sorry. But i was searching and i am not sure how to access other type of jails. Like i installed ubuntu but i dont know how to access it. Like the pluginjail i had to jexec 1 tcsh and i was in it. But for ubuntu I am not sure. I tried that but didnt work. I tried to ssh into the ip address but it still connect to the freenas not the jail. Could someone help me? thank you.

You need to get you through the Gui [web site] of the freenas server.

Jails->jail name you created -> Below you have icons. klick on Shell

tanik1

Contributor
You need to get you through the Gui [web site]

You need to get you through the Gui [web site] of the freenas server.

Jails->jail name you created -> Below you have icons. klick on Shell

cool thanks.

is there a way to ssh into the ubuntu jail? or do i have to use the shell within the jail in the webgui?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
'jexec 1 X' just executes 'X' in the jail. I assume 'jexec 1 sh' or 'jexec 1 bash' might work.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
cool thanks.

is there a way to ssh into the ubuntu jail? or do i have to use the shell within the jail in the webgui?

Yes. Just setup the SSH service in ubuntu(not sure how you do it.. might want to check the ubuntu forums) and then you can SSH directly into the jail.

mullcom

Explorer
cool thanks.

For now i dont now how. its some problem with the DNS or samting.
I have try to start service but get fail.

i am serching for some ansers to that.

mullcom

Explorer
i try to make apt-get upgrade but get this.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Setting up dbus (1.6.8-1ubuntu6.1) ...
Failed to open connection to "system" message bus: Failed to connect to socket/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart:
No such file or directory
start: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart:

invoke-rc.d: initscript dbus, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing dbus (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dmesg: klogctl failed: Function not implemented/bin/df: '/sys/fs/cgroup': No such file or directory
/bin/df: '/sys/fs/fuse/connections': No such file or directory/bin/df: '/sys/kernel/debug':
/bin/df: '/sys/kernel/security': No such file or directory/bin/df: '/run/lock': No such file or directory
/bin/df: '/run/shm':
No such file or directory /bin/df: '/run/user': No such file or directory
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of language-selector-common:
language-selector-common depends on dbus; however:
Package dbus is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing language-selector-common (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Setting up linux-image-3.8.0-19-generic (3.8.0-19.30) ...
No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
Running depmod.

tanik1

Contributor
I dont know what that error is but i tried the apt-get update and it went through. It wasnt giving any errors like yours. Maybe its permission issues?

*But is there a way to get ubuntu 12 the LTS version for the jail template?

Nevermind found out how to do it. just added a new template with this link
http://cdn.freenas.org/9.2.0/RELEASE/x64/jails/linux-ubuntu-12.04.tgz

mullcom

Explorer

tanik1

Contributor
i think there is just a lot of permission issue. Because i check for the groups and stuff and its only one listed for root and root. I get a lot of permission denied and operation not permitted. I just tried to ping within the jail itself and it said operation not permitted.

ping: icmp open socket: Operation not permitted
root@puppet:/# ifconfig
Warning: cannot open /proc/net/dev (No such file or directory). Limited output.

So i am not sure how these jails work. Kind of want to have another OS within another OS like this as almost like a plugin

mullcom

Explorer
i think there is just a lot of permission issue. Because i check for the groups and stuff and its only one listed for root and root. I get a lot of permission denied and operation not permitted. I just tried to ping within the jail itself and it said operation not permitted.

So i am not sure how these jails work. Kind of want to have another OS within another OS like this as almost like a plugin

Network settings do you settup in GUI freenas jail settings.

We cant ping in jail. som socket stuff we need to do. dont now whot it is.

tanik1

Contributor
yea but i thought it would at least show the ifconfig. But it's so hard to find any maybe quick guide for ubuntu and freenas. I know its still kind of new.

Status
Not open for further replies.