FreeNAS 9.2.0 Ubuntu 13.04 Jail Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanik1

Contributor
Network settings do you settup in GUI freenas jail settings.

We cant ping in jail. som socket stuff we need to do. dont now whot it is.

hey you said you cant ping with jails or just the ubuntu jail? I think i saw a thread that someone was able to use ping within a jail but it was not ubuntu. So you know for sure that you cant ping within the ubuntu jail right? unless something is done.

JKman

Explorer
i get an issue similar to mullcom. anyone solve this yet?

Code:
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
8 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up dbus (1.6.8-1ubuntu6.1) ...
Failed to open connection to "system" message bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: No such file or directory
start: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: No such file or directory
invoke-rc.d: initscript dbus, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing dbus (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of language-selector-common:
language-selector-common depends on dbus; however:
  Package dbus is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing language-selector-common (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Setting up linux-image-3.8.0-19-generic (3.8.0-19.30) ...
Running depmod.
update-initramfs: deferring update (hook will be called later)
Not updating initrd symbolic links since we are being updated/reinstalled
(3.8.0-19.29 was configured last, according to dpkg)
Not updating image symbolic links since we are being updated/reinstalled
(3.8.0-19.29 was configured last, according to dpkg)
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal 3.8.0-19-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-19-generic
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 3.8.0-19-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-19-generic
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.8.0-19-generic
ELF binary type "0" not known.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/update-notifier 3.8.0-19-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-19-generic
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub 3.8.0-19-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-19-generic
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for / (is /dev mounted?).
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub exited with return code 1
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postinst.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-3.8.0-19-generic.postinst line 1010.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-3.8.0-19-generic (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
Setting up whoopsie (0.2.15.1) ...
initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: No such file or directory
start: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: No such file or directory
invoke-rc.d: initscript whoopsie, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing whoopsie (--configure):
Setting up rsyslog (5.8.11-2ubuntu2.2) ...
invoke-rc.d: initscript rsyslog, action "restart" failed.
dpkg: error processing rsyslog (--configure):
Setting up procps (1:3.3.3-2ubuntu5.3) ...
invoke-rc.d: initscript procps, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing procps (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-image-extra-3.8.0-19-generic:
linux-image-extra-3.8.0-19-generic depends on linux-image-3.8.0-19-generic; however:
  Package linux-image-3.8.0-19-generic is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing linux-image-extra-3.8.0-19-generic (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of policykit-1:
policykit-1 depends on dbus; however:
  Package dbus is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing policykit-1 (--configure):
Errors were encountered while processing:
dbus
language-selector-common
linux-image-3.8.0-19-generic
whoopsie
rsyslog
procps
linux-image-extra-3.8.0-19-generic
policykit-1

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Sorry, we don't really provide good support for linux inside the jail. We provide the framework, but how programs behave or misbehave is outside of our control(and support).

JKman

Explorer
i get that however this is merely an 'apt-get install' command.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That doesn't change anything. The developers themselves don't like or use linux. Very few users here even use linux. What you are asking is akin to going to the VMWare forums and asking why your Windows guest throws an error when you install Microsoft Office. VMWare doesn't care. They provide the framework for the virtualization. If the programs in the VM don't work that's not their concern unless you have evidence that the framework is at fault.

JKman

Explorer
well the linux 'functionality' is definitely cool but not necessary. it was jails and linux in a jail that attracted me to FreeNAS in the first place. shame i haven't got it working yet.

i will say that if the developers offer templateXYZ through the platform, then templateXYZ should work. so may the answer is remove the pre-canned templates and make users figure out how to create their own.

anyways, i don't want to dwell on this "VMWare Don't Care" line of discussion. i will attempt to figure this out myself and post back results.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The real problem for most users has been the lack of support for understanding the ZFS structure. A bunch of programs see ZFS's free space as beeing in KB instead of GB or TB. So you may have 20TB free, but it thinks you might have 20KB free. So it errors out with something equivalent to insufficient disk space. Unfortunately, since every single program handles its calculation of free space differently, and each also handles a full drive differently, unless you are a linux pro you aren't likely to have much success in fixing it. We've had people with years of linux experience give up because too many programs are just too broken to deal with the problem.

Then you have to consider potential updates to the programs.

Then you have to factor in potential changes to ZFS and FreeNAS as time goes on.

The whole idea if Linux in a jail, while it sounds great in theory, doesn't seem to be too "ideal" in practice. We've gotten lots of complaints, but it's not something that really falls within the realm of things that the FreeNAS team should or can fix.

If you are really wanting/needing Linux, you can do Virtualbox in a jail. I wrote a step-by-step guide for setting up and installing Virtualbox, but it does have hardware needs.. plenty of RAM, fast enough pool, and virtualization extensions must be supported on your CPU for 64-bit VMs.

TrueOsiris

Cadet
It seems the dns thing is resolved when setting up the ubuntu jail. I actually didn't have to touch anything & the resolv.conf file was getting the info from my dhcp/dns servers to be able to apt.
However, a lot of issues remain. Doing a apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade (I know, stressing the jail), results in a not-able-to-remove-old-kernel-files (see below).
I feel like setting up the ubuntu within the virtualbox jail (which does work perfectly, after some tampering).
Imho, stating the framework is all u do & that it's ubuntu's problem is a lamers excuse.

Code:
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  linux-image-3.8.0-19-generic linux-image-extra-3.8.0-19-generic
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
6 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 123 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
(Reading database ... 54967 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing linux-image-extra-3.8.0-19-generic ...
Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools 3.8.0-19-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-19-generic
update-initramfs: Deleting /boot/initrd.img-3.8.0-19-generic
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub 3.8.0-19-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-19-generic
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub exited with return code 1
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postrm.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-extra-3.8.0-19-generic.postrm line 328.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-extra-3.8.0-19-generic (--remove):
subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 1
Removing linux-image-3.8.0-19-generic ...
Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools 3.8.0-19-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-19-generic
update-initramfs: Deleting /boot/initrd.img-3.8.0-19-generic
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub 3.8.0-19-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-19-generic
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub exited with return code 1
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postrm.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-3.8.0-19-generic.postrm line 328.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-3.8.0-19-generic (--remove):
subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
linux-image-extra-3.8.0-19-generic
linux-image-3.8.0-19-generic
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

raidflex

Guru
So apparently the Ubuntu jail will not even install anymore. When attempting to install the Ubuntu template I receive the error "ERROR: Invalid option: 13.04."

TrueOsiris

Cadet
I had success after going to trusty
in the jail shell I removed the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list & replaced them by
Code:
deb http://be.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty main
deb-src http://be.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty main 

using
Code:
vim /etc/apt/sources.list

Then I went for the usual
Code:
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Just an FYI... linux jails are gone from FreeNAS. The next release of FreeNAS will have no linux jails, so you might want to plan a migration away from the linux jails now. ;)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Could I ask where u got this info, cyberjock ?

Yes.. I was involved in the discussion to remove the linux jail.

The linux jails never worked as well as were planned. Many programs didn't work right (if at all), users are limited to 32-bit only, it was riddled with bugs and other weird problems, and the emulation layer hasn't been well maintained in quite a few years.

The decision was to either sink huge amounts of resources into fixing it up (assuming it was feasible) or just getting rid of it. So few users used it that it made more sense to just get rid of the linux jails. Plus, with the new virtualbox options you can run 64-bit linux and the compatibility is MUCH better.

So the decision seemed obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.