FreeNAS 9.10 vm-bhyve

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjp4756

Contributor
First off, I'm not sure if I should make an official FR regarding this or not so I figured I'd post here.

FreeNAS 9.10 comes with iohyve already. This works OK. There is a similar tool called vm-bhyve which offers more functionality such as virtual switch support and NAT. In my opinion vm-bhyve is a more robust iohyve.

Any chance this could be included in FreeNAS 9.10? It could co-exist with iohyve if need be. They are both sh scripts.

https://github.com/churchers/vm-bhyve

D

dlavigne

It wouldn't hurt to suggest it as a feature request. It might get closed as dev resources are being diverted towards 10 instead of 9, but you never know...

If you decide to try it, post the issue # here.

If it doesn't work out, you can always write a post in the how-to section on how to install and use it for those who might want to try it out.

kjp4756

Contributor
I'm not going to bother with the FR. I did manually install vm-bhyve and it does work nice, however it does require dnsmasq for NAT vm networking. I'm pretty sure the freenas devs wouldn't want to include dnsmasq in the base system.

Once I get some more time I may put up a how to on how to manually install. It's really not hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.