FreeNAS 11: Iohyve/Bhyve Multiple Network Interface Workaround?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrappy

Patron
On FreeNAS Corral, it was possible to choose which network interface (NIC) you want your VM to associate with. This was great since I hosted a VM on a separate DMZ subnet for a friend who logs in remotely. Because I am paranoid, I don't want his VM to have access to my home LAN subnet.

Last weekend I had major issues getting Corral to run properly after a reboot. I decided at this point with FreeNAS 11 being on RC3 it would likely be stable enough for my use. Overall, FN11 has worked out Ok, but as some may know, FreeNAS 11 uses iohyve as its bhyve hypervisor manager and iohyve has yet to implement the ability to select different network interfaces—it can only use your default network interface. In searching for a solution I found this tutorial where a pfSense VM was given multiple network interfaces in FreeNAS 9.10 by issuing bhyve commands under Tasks in the web UI and other network setup instructions in System > Tunables. Will something like this be the only possible workaround for having more than one network interface for VMs under FreeNAS 11?

scrappy

Patron

scrappy

Patron
I updated to FreeNAS 11 RC4 today. Still no option to change the network interface used for VMs. There's only VirtIO or Intel e1000 which are both going to be on the same subnet.

chris crude

Patron

RegularJoe

Patron
is this something that is stored in a text file or in the DB? I think we just need to create a bridge on the correct NIC and a tap to use on the VM. It should be easy, not pass thru but the network traffic could be used on the other virtual switch(bridge) and virtual nic(tap)

Status
Not open for further replies.