Freenas 8 in HDD failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

heavydrinker

Cadet
Hi,

Freenas 7 setup allows installing freenas os in HDD.
I try to install Freenas 8 in hdd and it's ok, but when i reboot the system, a "disk boot failure" error is raised !

Why ?
When i install freenas 8 in USB key 8Go, the process and the reboot is ok!
but in freenas readme file, the os drive can't be sharing according to the data free space?
for me it's possible ? why ?
The OS is available on 800 Mo and i have 7.5 GO avaible to AFP share.

When freenas os is available in usb key, why it's not possible to perform a "PKG_ADD" command with "root" ?
How install java and tomcat for example ?

Please help me to understand !

headconnect

Explorer
Not 100% sure how to interpret that post, but if you're trying to use the remaining space on your usb drive for storage, you can't do that in FreeNAS 8. From the documentation (my highilighting):

"Unlike previous FreeNAS releases, the FreeNAS device contains multiple slices in order to hold multiple running images. This allows you to safely upgrade to a new image or to revert to an older image should you encounter problems. However, it also means that the device it is installed into becomes "dedicated" to FreeNAS. You will not be able to use that device to store data. For example, if you were to install FreeNAS onto a hard drive, the entire hard drive would become inaccesible, regardless of its size. "

Lots more information in the documentation: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Main_Page

heavydrinker

Cadet
Hi,

Why it's not possible to use the HDD for freenas 8 ? after install i reboot the system, a "disk boot failure" error is raised !
Else in usb key, how add tomcat, java packages ? the usb drive size is small ?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Hi,

Freenas 7 setup allows installing freenas os in HDD.
I try to install Freenas 8 in hdd and it's ok, but when i reboot the system, a "disk boot failure" error is raised !

Yes, FreeNAS 8 can be installed on a hard drive but you do not get to use all that hard drive by default for whatever you want and that means the extra space cannot be used ad a data drive. This is a difference from 0.7.x sand 8.x.

As for your boot problem, I believe you need to enter your BIOS and ensure that hard drive is your boot drive. One experiment you can try is to disconnect all the drives except the boot drive, see if it boots or do whatever it takes to make it boot.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.