Volume Manager doesn't see my 3TB HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

luis333

Cadet
Hardware is a HP Microserver proliant ML10 V2 with 8Gb RAM and a single 3TB HDD. Story is as follows:
  1. Installed FreeNAS 9.3 (USB).
  2. HDD was detected and appeared under 'Available disks'.
  3. Made a mistake with the volume layout (wrong size). Ended up with a 1.7Tb and a 1.3Tb plus a 'jail'
  4. Right or wrong , as I couldn't find any info how to 'reconfigure' the sizes of the volume layout I decided to 're-install' FreeNAS.
  5. All went well and after second install it runs off USB stick (16Gb) however, when I connect thru the WebGUI, the only available disk is the USB stick'1 - 16.0 Gb (no more drives).
  6. I am suspecting that what is left on the HDD from the first 'successful' install, is causing the HDD not to be seen the second time around?
  7. I have been trying to look for a why to format the HDD and then try to re-install but clearly u cant format if u don't see it.
  8. Haven't changed the BIOS in anyway both during the first or second install.
Ok clearly I am a noob to FreeNAS so if I can be pointed in the right direction ... that'll be great

gpsguy

Assuming your 3TB volume isn't visible in FreeNAS, I would "auto import" that volume.

From the doc's - "Import your volumes in Storage →Auto Import Volume."

Once that's been done, you can use the "Detach volume" to "mark the disks as new". See - http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_storage.html#view-volumes in the manual.

luis333

Cadet
Thanks. Just tried that. The only volume available to import is 'freenas-boot....' which I think is the USB stick. Anyway, tried that (just in case) and it comes with 'cannot import freenas-boot' pool already exists.
Then tried from the shell "zpool import" but only lists pool: freenas-boot.
Anything else I can try?

gpsguy

Try DBAN (www.dban.org) instead. Create a bootable DBAN disk (USB or CD), boot off of it, select the 3TB hard disk and do a quick wipe.

It'll take a few hours, but it should fix the issue. Make sure you use the quick option. I believe the default is a 3 pass DOD wipe which will take even longer to run.

logan893

Dabbler
Thanks. Just tried that. The only volume available to import is 'freenas-boot....' which I think is the USB stick. Anyway, tried that (just in case) and it comes with 'cannot import freenas-boot' pool already exists.
Then tried from the shell "zpool import" but only lists pool: freenas-boot.
Anything else I can try?

From the console, you can use "gpart show". It'll list all devices with partitions, including your boot USB as a 16GB drive. You should clearly see which device name was selected for the 3TB HDD.

Example of a 4TB drive as shown by "gpart show" (other devices are removed):
Code:
# gpart show

=>        34  7814037101  da6  GPT  (3.7T)
          34          94       - free -  (47k)
         128     4194304    1  freebsd-swap  (2.0G)
     4194432  7809842696    2  freebsd-zfs  (3.7T)
  7814037128           7       - free -  (3.5k)

You can now issue "gpart destroy -F <device>". In my example above it would be "gpart destroy -F da6".

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
You can now issue "gpart destroy -F <device>". In my example above it would be "gpart destroy -F da6".
This ^^^ I've done this in the past and it's a much faster way to clear out a drive that's having issues. :smile:

luis333

Cadet
used the dban option (didn't see the other posts until after I hit return). Used the automatic default option of dban and it took 27 hrs to do!!! but it worked so all good.
The other issue I have now is copying files from my Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines. Both windows machines are asking me to 'Enter Network Password' for Main-PC\root (Main-PC is the name of my windows machine). It would seem is a common Windows issue and no one knows what 'password' is being asked (just read 11 pages - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/.../2a8e6d6f-74a1-43c7-8530-24e8522ea955?page=11) and after trying all the proposed solutions, the 'Enter network password' continues to appear. Think is more a Windows issue rather than freenas but may be suggestions out there?
Would windows be referring to the \root in the NAS? if so, where is that password stored (if there is one). BTW all windows machines can see the drive \\nas (my NetBIOSname) - with a path to my specific /mnt/xyz_Media...a bit loss now.
Set up the Services and Storage options as required in freeNAS.

luis333

Cadet
and on the freeNAS box, it says "freenas smbd [7677] matchname failed on xxx.xxx.x.xx (ip addresses of the windows boxes)

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
the automatic default option of dban and it took 27 hrs
The default is the 3-pass DOD (plus verify), so if there's a next time, and you use the quick option, it should take about half that (erase plus verify).
freenas smbd [7677] matchname failed on xxx.xxx.x.xx
The quick-and-dirty fix for this is to disable hostname resolution in the CIFS service settings.

luis333

Cadet
tried the quick and dirty fix (assume you are referring to uncheck Hostname Lookups in the the CIFs settings). No difference. Windows boxes are still asking "Enter a Network Password" any other suggestions? Cheers

luis333

Cadet
message i got is: status=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connections_create connection_session info failed: NT STATUS ACCESS DENIED

Status
Not open for further replies.