HDD not showing in the Nas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I everyone,

I wanted to setup a FreeNas server. So i installed it on a 640 Gb HDD and quickly realise that i couldn't use that HDD for storage after that. So i reinstalled it on a 2gb usb key. I reformated my 640gb HDD on windows in NTFS with only one partition and set it on my server rig . but when I go to the web adress I don't see the hdd.

I tried with no partition at all with different sata port, nothing seem's to work.

MB: a8n-sli deluxe
cpu: AMD athlon64 3000+
ram: 3gb

Thank's for your help.

I have been trying to understand the link with my problem and what you sent me but don't understand the link with my problem?

ProtoSD

MVP
Your disk must be formatted using FreeNAS, in your situation I recommend UFS (Create Volume), and then you must setup sharing (CIFS).

RTFM.... there are docs & video links in my signature below.

BobCochran

Contributor
I had a hard drive that simply was not being recognized when I tried to create a volume. It wouldn't show up in the list of hard drives I could create the volume from. So I unplugged it from the SATA connector it was using and plugged it back in to a different SATA connector which was not close to the power supply I am using. That did the trick and the drive became visible to FreeNAS, It makes me wonder if proximity to a power supply can affect the performance of an SATA connector.

Bob

I'm supposed to enter those line ? where? in cmd windows ?
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada1 bs=1m count=1
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada1 bs=1m oseek=`diskinfo ada1 | awk '{print int($3 / (1024*1024)) - 4;}'`

gpsguy

You need to enter the commands on the server. From the server menu, select the "shell" option.

If you enable the SSH service, you can load PuTTY on your Windows machine and connect to the server that way. Since I run my server headless, that's how I connect to it.

I'm supposed to enter those line ? where? in cmd windows ?
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada1 bs=1m count=1
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada1 bs=1m oseek=`diskinfo ada1 | awk '{print int($3 / (1024*1024)) - 4;}'`

Status
Not open for further replies.