Move files between HDD in the NAS without using network

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmhw2024

Dabbler
Hello everyone, hope you can help!
I have a nas running FreeNas 9.2.1.5 with 3x 1TB HDD and they're not in any kind of RAID. Often I must move movies of 8gb (more or less) from the 1st HDD to the 2nd. I know that I could use CIFS or FTP etc, but if I use these standards I will move the movie really really slowly (2/3mb).
The only way I found to do this, is to use SSH on the server and Putty on the client through the "rsync" command! The problem is that using putty it's not so comfortable. There is something maybe with a Graphical User Interface that I can use to do this?

Thank you very much, hope you'll understand my english!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
See the man page for "cp": http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=cp
You will probably want to use "cp -Rp" (which will move whole directories and preserve ACLs, timestamps, etc.)
For example
Code:
cp -Rp /mnt/Tank1/SourceDirectory /mnt/Tank2/DestinationDirectory

That being said, it sounds like you have a less than idea setup for FreeNAS. You might want to reconfigure your storage so that you're at least using mirrors. 2-3 megabytes per second is really slow. You might have inadequate hardware to be running FreeNAS

tmhw2024

Dabbler
See the man page for "cp": http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=cp
You will probably want to use "cp -Rp" (which will move whole directories and preserve ACLs, timestamps, etc.)
For example
Code:
cp -Rp /mnt/Tank1/SourceDirectory /mnt/Tank2/DestinationDirectory

That being said, it sounds like you have a less than idea setup for FreeNAS. You might want to reconfigure your storage so that you're at least using mirrors. 2-3 megabytes per second is really slow. You might have inadequate hardware to be running FreeNAS
I absolutely didn't want a mirror, at least I could do a stripe but these disks are temporary and when I will have 8tb, I will do a mirror raid.

For the copy, as I said, I would like to have a Graphical User Interface to move or copy files because it's slow to write the name of every file that I have to move (I can't copy the whole directories).

For the hardware, I use 4GB of Ram and this mobo with integrated CPU http://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/e350m1/
I always thought it's a wifi problem (The Nas is connected to the router with an ethernet cable while the computer that I use to explore the Nas is connected through wifi)

gpsguy

Yes, using wifi on the client is one of your problems.

The others are with your FreeNAS box. 4Gb is insufficient for ZFS on FreeNAS and you won't get the caching benefit. The minimum recommendation calls for 8Gb. The embedded CPU is slow. And, it's got a Realtek NIC.

For the hardware, I use 4GB of Ram and this mobo with integrated CPU http://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/e350m1/

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
For the copy, as I said, I would like to have a Graphical User Interface to move or copy files because it's slow to write the name of every file that I have to move (I can't copy the whole directories)
In that case you may want to look into a server os with a GUI. My personal favorites are openbsd, FreeBSD, and centos.

Whattteva

Wizard
Hello everyone, hope you can help!
I have a nas running FreeNas 9.2.1.5 with 3x 1TB HDD and they're not in any kind of RAID. Often I must move movies of 8gb (more or less) from the 1st HDD to the 2nd. I know that I could use CIFS or FTP etc, but if I use these standards I will move the movie really really slowly (2/3mb).
The only way I found to do this, is to use SSH on the server and Putty on the client through the "rsync" command! The problem is that using putty it's not so comfortable. There is something maybe with a Graphical User Interface that I can use to do this?

Thank you very much, hope you'll understand my english!
FTP is probably one of the most streamlined and lightweight protocol out there.
Your speed bottleneck is because you're using WiFi above all else.
This is particularly true if you have a lot of other networks there that runs on the same band (I assume you run 2.4 GHz). If you have the option, you could use 5 GHz band as it tends to be less crowded, but wires will still be leaps and bounds better.
Before you do anything else, get rid of the WiFi and use real wires.

Last edited:

tmhw2024

Dabbler
FTP is probably one of the most streamlined and lightweight protocol out there.
Your speed bottleneck is because you're using WiFi above all else.
This is particularly true if you have a lot of other networks there that runs on the same band (I assume you run 2.4 GHz). If you have the option, you could use 5 GHz band as it tends to be less crowded, but wires will still be leaps and bounds better.
Before you do anything else, get rid of the WiFi and use real wires.

Yeah I know that my problem is the wifi (yes I'm running on 2.4GHz and no I have not the possibility to use 5GHz band). But I found stupid anyway the fact that to move or copy files between hdds on the Nas I must use the network. I mean I'm not downloading the file, so why should I use CIFS? Anyway I will use the wire!

The others are with your FreeNAS box. 4Gb is insufficient for ZFS on FreeNAS and you won't get the caching benefit. The minimum recommendation calls for 8Gb. The embedded CPU is slow. And, it's got a Realtek NIC.

I'm with you for the RAM and the CPU, but do you really think that the Realtek NIC is so shitty? Do you could give me some names of CPU and Mobo you would put in a FreeNas NAS?

Last edited:

Whattteva

Wizard
Your second quote is not mine. I actually happen to use Realtek NIC's on both the NAS and the client boxes and routinely saturate the 1 GbE link. Of course, individual experience may vary, but in my experience, it works plenty well enough.

Last edited:

gpsguy

While some users (probably fast CPU's, sufficient RAM, gigabit connections, and equally nice client hardware) might have good luck with a Realtek NIC on their FreeNAS box, a high percentage of forum users with performance problems are using a Realtek NIC. When they switch to an Intel, even a cheap $30 OEM version, their performance generally improves. I don't think it'll help in your case, due to insufficient RAM and CPU.

Please look at the sticky in the hardware forum for suggestions. You might also want to look at what some of the other users are using.

I'm with you for the RAM and the CPU, but do you really think that the Realtek NIC is so shitty? Do you could give me some names of CPU and Mobo you would put in a FreeNas NAS?

gpsguy

Do you have fast CPU's in both boxes and possibly a SSD in the client?

I actually happen to use Realtek NIC's on both the NAS and the client boxes and routinely saturate the 1 GbE link.

Whattteva

Wizard
Both boxes have plenty of CPU power and RAM. Client has SSD, but I have no trouble saturating the link even when I copy to a secondary 1.5 TB on the box.

Dan Cundy

Dabbler
I agree with what you are saying, and would like to know why you cannot just transfer data from one disk to another using a gui? What's the point taking a file from one drive to my gateway then back into the server to the other drive?! Now i know you can do this via the terminal probably using "rm" or some-other command. But come on its the 21st century! I'm pretty sure Nas4free has this ablility to transfer files via a GUI and that is based on FreeNas7. We are almost on 10 now!

gpsguy

Please search: bugs.freenas.org

Either add to an existing bug or request a new feature. The developers rarely visit the forum.

Given this thread is 4 months old, the mods might want to lock the thread.

Sent from my phone

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I agree with what you are saying, and would like to know why you cannot just transfer data from one disk to another using a gui? What's the point taking a file from one drive to my gateway then back into the server to the other drive?! Now i know you can do this via the terminal probably using "rm" or some-other command. But come on its the 21st century! I'm pretty sure Nas4free has this ablility to transfer files via a GUI and that is based on FreeNas7. We are almost on 10 now!

I'm rather certain NAS4Free is on FreeNAS 9, at least, maybe 10. Not that the FreeBSD version has any bearing on the matter...

Point is, if you absolutely require the GUI, fine - there's Windows Server, which serves (among other demographics) the niche you find yourself in. It's not a must-have feature, so it's strictly a back burner kind of thing.
I'll admit, it made migrating from WHS 2011 to FreeNAS much easier, though.

Glorious1

Guru
jhacked, you didn't say what your file setup is from one drive to the other. If you're basically copying new files from one drive to the other, and don't want to replace or copy old files, rsync would make it easy. Although rsync is designed to copy files within a box as well as over a network, I'm not sure the GUI in FreeNAS provides that function. I was experimenting with it and discovered a bug in the Rsync GUI that stopped my experiment, and that will be fixed in an update soon. But in the command line it's a cinch, and it's very fast.

By default, rsync copies what's new or changed and leaves everything else on the destination alone. There are options that preserve various file attributes, permissions, etc., and for those to work right the command must be run as root (with sudo in front). Basically it's: rsync options source(s) destination

I use these options: -aHhv You can look them up in the man page, but basically they preserve a lot of attributes and provide more useful feedback. So, assuming your source is on Volume1, datesetA, and your destination is Volume2, datasetB, it would be:
Code:
rsync -aHhv /mnt/Volume1/datasetA /mnt/Volume2/datasetB

You can also copy from several datasets at the same time, assuming you have corresponding datasets with same name (or want to have them) on the destination:
Code:
rsync -aHhv /mnt/Volume1/datasetA1 /mnt/Volume1/datasetA2 /mnt/Volume1/datasetA3 /mnt/Volume2

There is also a --delete option which will delete things from the destination that aren't in the source. Be careful with that.

Last edited:

pschatz100

Guru
Yeah I know that my problem is the wifi (yes I'm running on 2.4GHz and no I have not the possibility to use 5GHz band). But I found stupid anyway the fact that to move or copy files between hdds on the Nas I must use the network. I mean I'm not downloading the file, so why should I use CIFS? Anyway I will use the wire!
You were given several ways to copy data without using the network, the most simple being in the first reply by @anodos. FreeNAS does not provide a Graphical file manager.

If you don't know how to run a command from the command line interface, you might want to learn a little about such things. It would be a good skill to develop.

jakeandchase

Explorer
Hi All,

Im trying to do the cp from one tank to another but It wont mount my newly created volume?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418873579.592428.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418873579.592428.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 297

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
That screenshot doesn't show the cp command nor error message.

jakeandchase

Explorer
That screenshot doesn't show the cp command nor error message.
Issue fixed itself when I set up the volume using a different PC. Strange.

So if I have two mounted volumes. DATA1 and tank. I want to copy all data from DATA1 to tank.

Code:
cp /mnt/DATA1/ /mnt/tank

should do the trick? should i make the same datasets on tank using the GUI first?

Status
Not open for further replies.