FreeNAS 8.30 Screen Saver and Boot Loader

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheeks

Cadet
guys hope you can help me

i have searched and have read some threads however i need to confirm what i want to change on my boot loader and screen saver

i am running FreeNAS 8.30 on a USB Memory Stick

i know that using putty i issue command
# mount -rw /
# cd /boot
# cp loader.conf loader.conf.BAK
# cp loader.conf.local loader.conf.local.BAK

Ok this makes a backup of my boot files.

When i am finished editing my files i know i have to do:
# mount -ro /
# reboot

What I want to achieve is the Folowing:
1. I want to CHANGE the Screen Saver to " /boot/kernel/fire_saver.ko "

2. I want to get my FreeNAS 8.30 System to Boot without Showing F1, F2 etc. on the Boot Screen

How do I accomplish it using pico or nano as my editor(s) of choice

Please help the FreeNAS noob
any help greatly appreciated :)

ProtoSD

MVP
You should be able to make those changes using the GUI, there is a "loaders" and "sysctls" section where you can put stuff, but you'll still need to put the fire_saver.ko module in the kernel directory.

Not sure about #2, F1 & F2 are used to choose from a previous installation if an upgrade doesn't work. There's probably a way to do it, I'd just have to do some searching myself to see how.

cheeks

Cadet
protosd thanks for the quick reply

" You should be able to make those changes using the GUI, there is a "loaders" and "sysctls" section where you can put stuff, but you'll still need to put the fire_saver.ko module in the kernel directory. "
There is a file " fire_saver.ko " in " /boot/kernel/fire_saver.ko " Must I copy it to another folder?

How would i use the "loaders" and "sysctls" Options? An example(s) would be great.

" Not sure about #F1 & F2 are used to choose from a previous installation if an upgrade doesn't work. There's probably a way to do it, I'd just have to do some searching myself to see how. "
What I am trying to do is harden the system so that if the FreeNAS 8.30 Server just Boots up with no Options shown.

Thanks for your support much appreciated :D

ProtoSD

MVP
Must I copy it to another folder?

No

How would i use the "loaders" and "sysctls" Options? An example(s) would be great.

It would be the same thing you want to add to loader.conf

Variable_Name = value

Look at the section in the manual, the GUI just lets you add a variable and a value. It saves you the trouble of editing from the command line and saves the changes during an upgrade.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=loader.conf&sektion=5

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/boot-blocks.html

Status
Not open for further replies.