SOLVED FreeNAS 11 fresh installation black-screens after Installing Base-OS (1 of 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

devnullius

Patron
it counts up to 50... 60... then the screen goes 'off' and 1 minute later the PC reboots.

I then get a blinking cursor while I hear the HDD do some hard repeated burst crunching. It then apparently (mostly because the hdd led is more on than off) still hard at work. I leave it be for four minutes and only once in a while I actually hear the HDD do something.

Then it reboots again.

And I get the blinking cursor once more. Again, the HDD led is more on than off. It will be another 4 minutes before the screen goes off again and the server reboots.

I'll keep it running like this overnight - if there is a link on how to report hardware errors / bugs let me know and I'll check it out so not to waste anyone's time :)

Thank you.

post-edit: the system used to work with FreeNAS 9.3. I updated the SAS2 to the latest (v7) firmware.

Last edited:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Please stop attempting to install FreeNAS 10 aka Corral. Go from 9.10 to 11.

devnullius

Patron
sorry! my bad: FreeNAS-11-MASTER-201801210345-b9f331218.iso

Not 10 :/

But I got that from the FTP downloads... I've downloaded FreeNAS-11.1-U1.iso now and will give that a test spin...

Last edited:

devnullius

Patron
so please move this thread back to where it belongs - and sorry for the late night screw-up I guess reading about the version 10 release last evening made an impression on me: I so liked the concept!

Last edited:

devnullius

Patron
so please move this thread back to where it belongs - and sorry for the late night screw-up I guess reading about the version 10 release last evening made an impression on me: I so liked the concept!
Update: 11.1 reacts similar: blinking cursor, no power off of the screen though and after a few minutes: reboot. Kindly advice.

D

dlavigne

sorry! my bad: FreeNAS-11-MASTER-201801210345-b9f331218.iso

Not 10 :/

But I got that from the FTP downloads... I've downloaded FreeNAS-11.1-U1.iso now and will give that a test spin...

Why are you installing a nightly? They can be broken at any point in time.

devnullius

Patron
It was part of my master Evil Plan? ;p Also, quote: "I've downloaded FreeNAS-11.1-U1.iso now and will give that a test spin... " - it had the same result.

I might have an idea what is causing it though. I'll test next to verify.

devnullius

Patron
Yeah, looks like I 'solved' this bug...

(blush) I bought a new wifi router the other day and while I copy pasted all MAC address leases and while I could go to my NAS through my LAN... The FreeNAS server was *not* whitelisted yet (I enabled extra security by only allowing whitelisted devices access to internet).

I now used a proper upgrade (instead of clean install 'upgrade') procedure from 9.10 to 11.1-U1. And the nightly will probably will work now too ;-)

Case solved: FreeNAS 11.1 upgrade black screen was caused by lack of internet access... Whitelisting my NAS was the solution :)

Status
Not open for further replies.