Freenas 11.3 U1 bad performance without AES-ni

ether

Dabbler
Hello,

I need your help on specific problem.

So I've recently updated my Freenas 11.1 install to Freenas 11.3 U1.
The upgrade went well, but I've noticed several slow down on the webUI and with my SMB share.
I thought this was the ZFS pools upgrade that maybe caused it, so I've backup, reinstall and create news pools on Freenas 11.3.

The problem persist, the UI was still slow, and my SMB share were quit "lagy" weird.
I can use them, but with strange behavior. It will copy for a few second at 110Mib/s, then almost stop for a few sec, and start again at full speed....
explorer_OMbkQEI68Q.png

On all copies this append, each time the same dip

My question is: do this behavior could be caused by my old cpu Pentium G3220, this processor do not have AES-NI.

This could be that, I've tried Centos 8 on an old NUC with an I3 without AES-NI, and here to, there was strange performance issues, with SSH and on my web servers. Same behavior and performance issues that on Freenas 11.3
To test my hypotheses I've reinstall Centos 7 on my old NUC, SSH and my web servers worked fine. No more performance issues.
Could it be a problem with a new kernel ? A new features, that will require AES NI ?

In that cases, upgrading to a newer processor with AES-NI will eliminate this problem ?

Thanx.

Yorick

Wizard
Are you using an encrypted dataset?

What's the motherboard you are using with that Pentium? I am wondering about the NIC.

ether

Dabbler
No I'm not using encrypted data, only LZ4 compression.

My Proc is an Pentium G3220 LGA1150, my MoBo a ASROCK Rack E3C226D2I, and the NIC are Intel's i210.
With 16Go DDR3 ECC, 5 X 3000T NAS drive in raidZ, no L2ARC, no ZIL.
I also though this could be a network issues. But I don't know how to test or solve this kind of network issues.

Yorick

Wizard
You should be able to see whether this is an issue with your CPU being under load by running top in an SSH shell, then starting the transfer, and just observing CPU load.

AES-NI is used to speed up cryptographic functions, specifically aes. So it is relevant to ssh and encrypted web, it is also relevant to SMB as I believe - and I feel somewhat shaky on this - that SMB encrypts traffic by default. This may depend on the client though. @anodos can likely shed light, if they have the time.

Last edited:

ether

Dabbler
Ok, I'll check what options and versions Windows 10 use for Samba.

But it comfort me on the fact that processor is to old. I was waiting for an excuse to upgrade it.

Yorick

Wizard
Checking eBay, the E3-1225 v3 goes for 45 bucks or so, and the e3-1220 v3 for just under 40. The 1225 would allow you to hardware transcode 1080p movies down to mobile on the fly in Plex, though 4k would be out of reach for hw transcode on that generation.

ether

Dabbler
Yes Xeon E3 are quiet good, I'll prefer a L version for power consumption.
But with the current situation its pretty difficult to ship internationally and no availability near me or in France.

So I bid on a I3-4360 on eBay, x2+ more powerfull than my current G3220... 25€, a still.

ether

Dabbler
I know this isn't the right thread.

But I have some issues with Freenas 11.3 ACL permission with CIFS on Centos 7.
Centos create folder with extra permission and users, wheel & everyone.

my CIFS mount : \\192.168.0.1\media\Video /mnt/freenas/media/video cifs user=XXX,password=XXX,vers=3.0,uid=1001,gid=1001,iocharset=utf8,nounix 0 0
(cred will be used after)

And my ACL on Freenas.
chrome_GYA1xqtHoQ.png

anmnz

Patron
Yes Xeon E3 are quiet good, I'll prefer a L version for power consumption.
"L" versions don't consume less power to do the same amount of work. They just do their work more slowly so as to keep their *peak* power consumption (and hence heat dissipation) down. They may even consume *more* power to do the same amount of work, because they have to stay busy for longer.

ether

Dabbler
Ok,
But I don't seach high performance or performance per wath (in this scale)
This is small NAS for 2 - 3 user, my pentium G don even go over 20 -30% load, with 2 user, 3 server and iSCI.
My concern was more on electricity bill and the power / heat ....

ether

Dabbler
Do I need to create a thread for ACL / CIF mount problem.

Or this can easily fixed ?

Redcoat

MVP

ether

Dabbler
Hi,

I've received my i3. It works fine, I've double my compute power and core count.
But there is still transfer issue... This time AES NI and perf issues are out ruled out.

Could this related to my ACL rules ? I've followed the ixSystem help to set it.
But I've noticed some issues with files on windows, the security tab warned me about wrong authorization order.
This behavior isn't visible on all of my shares .... But I've checked, all my shares, share the same ACL settings....
It seems that only shares mounted / edited on my linux server show this behavior...

I've you an idea why ?
Could this be my entire that my entire system is to old ?

ether

Dabbler
Hi Again,

I've remember something, this problem appeared after I've updated my Pool with to new the ZFS.
Could it be a hardware issues ? I've read that some hard drive could have some latency.
My main Pool is made of 5 3TB HDD,4 Seagate NAS drive and one desktop Toshiba drive.

This mix of drive, could cause this issue ?