AMD X3000/HPE MicroServer Gen10 AES-NI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to know if FreeNAS 11+ would benefit from any hardware crypto, such as AES-NI, that may—or may not—be provided by the newish AMD Opteron X3000 processor family: X3126, X3418, or X3421 that come in the new HPE/HP MicroServer Gen10.

I could not find anything on the web that lists these processor capabilities, such as virtualisation or crypto support. Other than the vague marketing page by AMD, everything else seems to relate to the very old generations of Opterons.

I would be very grateful if anyone could direct me to a detailed resource on those CPUs. However, I am mainly interested in understanding if FreeNAS would benefit from this CPU as much, or even more, than it can from an Intel Xeon E3 (HP MicroServer Gen8) which does AES-NI. I believe the Intel Core i3 (also HP MS Gen8) does not support AES-NI.

Other than curiosity, the reason for my interest in the crypto support is for two reasons: speeding up ZFS disk encryption and having faster SSL for FreeBSD Jail web apps. Many thanks.

As no one knows the answer, here is the best I could find out on my own. The Opteron X3000 series is supposed to be an upgrade of the X2000, according to the above-mentioned AMD page. I have found out that Opteron X2170 aka Opteron Puma Family X-series indeed does support AES-NI, according to cpu-world. I may soon know if this is true or not from real-world experience.

Fidric

Dabbler
Hi Rafał,
did you find out more about the AES-NI on the Gen10?

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.