Not open for further replies.

Zwck

Patron
Lets go, looking forward to reports :D

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

emk2203

Guru
This whole 11.1-U7/8/9... vs 11.2 gives me flashbacks about the Corral situation, to be honest. I have installed 11.2-RC2 and would like to switch over to real good release of 11.2 soon, with 11.1 only getting critical security fixes.

Yes, the development could be done in parallel. But I think that's spreading the resources too thin. The lack of announcements for both RC also irks me. If a Release Candidate doesn't get announced, what does this tell you?

kdragon75

Wizard
If a Release Candidate doesn't get announced, what does this tell you
That iXsystems is much smaller than they would like the customers to think or that they aren't excited about there own product?

joeschmuck

Old Man

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I'm going to bite and install RC2 on a customer's system next week. Staying on 11.1 is not an option because FreeBSD 11.1 does not get updated packages anymore and we are running *gasp* applications in jails that need to be updated. I hope they got the 11.1-U6 -> 11.2 upgrade right this time.

Apart from that, I'm not terribly impressed. CPU graph is empty, df graphs are utter nonsense, IPv6 still does not work properly with iocage jails ... I'll open bug reports and start separate discussions on these topics.

I don't get why people always make that Corral comparison - Corral ran rock solid for me. Networking straightforward as it should, VMs as expected, about perfect [1] ... I don't mind bugs. What I hate are POLA violations that bite the experienced (hey, 20 years of FreeBSD for me, too!) admin. Possibly because I never used all that "plugin" or "vm template" stuff but always roll my own installations in whatever hypervisor/container technology I have at my disposal.

Kind regards,
Patrick

[1] Yes, jails missing from Corral. So I'm a bit unfair, probably. But if jails are to replace VMs for FreeBSD based workloads they better get basic networking straight. And I really don't get why iocage in FreeNAS behaves differently from iocage in FreeBSD. </rant>

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I am more interested in 11.1-U7
What would that be good for with FreeBSD 11.1 out of support?

There simply is no current production release of FreeNAS at the moment.

Patrick

Rusty!

Dabbler
Installed it. My jails and VM needed to be started manually, but other than that it seems OK so far.

kdragon75

Wizard
Its not uncommon to see outdated Unix systems running for decades (sometimes without ever being rebooted). Granted if your running a boat load of newer "last 10 years" services, you will be at much greater risk. For example, OwnCloud. OwnCloud is a somewhat more complex web service (compared to DHCPd) that could be exploitable. However as a block storage server that's not accessed from outside of a secure network, unless a major bug is found that is of concern, let it run FreeBSD 9 for the next 10 years.

Edit: In general, I would agree that iXsystems handling of FreeNAS development has been atrocious to say the least.

Zwck

Patron
I updated as well and it went fine!

emk2203

Guru
FWIW, updated three systems (see signature), no issues at all, jails were there, no log spam. Quite satisfied ( the UI still sucks).

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm going to bite and install RC2 on a customer's system next week.
I'd frown upon that and just wait for the stable release, but if your customer is aware that you are using non-finalized software and accepts the risks then I guess it's okay but personnally I'd just wait until the Release version comes out to deploy to a customers machine. Just my opinion.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I'm going to bite and install RC2 on a customer's system next week.
I wouldn't do it. Not without extensive testing first. The 11.1-U6 version is still the 'production' version and the RC version is still in development and bugs could be a problem.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I'd frown upon that and just wait for the stable release, but if your customer is aware that you are using non-finalized software and accepts the risks then I guess it's okay but personnally I'd just wait until the Release version comes out to deploy to a customers machine. Just my opinion.
Seconded.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

There simply is no current production release of FreeNAS at the moment.

Patrick
I looked back at the Roadmap: https://redmine.ixsystems.com/projects/freenas/roadmap

Either I was mistaken or they changed it and the 11.1-U7 is TrueNAS only, not FreeNAS, so I don't have anything to look forward to other than the eventual release of 11.2-U1.

If iX is going to the trouble of making a TrueNAS 11.1-U7, I would hope they will release a FreeNAS version also, but it may not happen as they are probably eager to get more users over to the 11.2 train so we can test it more thoroughly and report the issues we find..

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
would like to switch over to real good release of 11.2 soon, with 11.1 only getting critical security fixes.
FreeNAS 11.1 isn't getting anything at all. They would need to bring the base OS up to FreeBSD 11.2 if they wanted to give FreeNAS 11.1 any meaningful fixes and I don't think they will do that.
The lack of announcements for both RC also irks me. If a Release Candidate doesn't get announced, what does this tell you?
Nothing. They posted it on the site and anyone that is interested can find it there. They only want a narrow audience looking at the RC because it is still in development and they really don't want everyone jumping on it because there could still be problems with it. They want the early adopters to find and report the problems before it gets to "release" so it can be working in a mostly bug-free way by the time the actual RELEASE version hits.
We are beyond the Beta Test phase, but it is still in development after all.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I looked back at the Roadmap: https://redmine.ixsystems.com/projects/freenas/roadmap

Either I was mistaken or they changed it and the 11.1-U7 is TrueNAS only, not FreeNAS, so I don't have anything to look forward to other than the eventual release of 11.2-U1.

If iX is going to the trouble of making a TrueNAS 11.1-U7, I would hope they will release a FreeNAS version also, but it may not happen as they are probably eager to get more users over to the 11.2 train so we can test it more thoroughly and report the issues we find..
They changed it. FreeNAS 11.1-U7 was on the roadmap when I checked last week or the week before. Now it only shows TrueNAS 11.1-U7.

If that's the case, then I will be staying on 11.1-U6 -- both here at home and and at work -- until 11.x appears to be stable.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
If that's the case, then I will be staying on 11.1-U6 -- both here at home and and at work -- until 11.x appears to be stable.
That is what I was thinking. I waited until 11.1-U1 to switch versions last time and still got smacked by a bug that needed fixing. I am not so eager to have the latest features that I will willingly suffer from bugs in the software. At the same time, I have one of the new systems setup so I can play with the new features.
upload_2018-11-18_1-58-33.png

kdragon75

Wizard

There was a 11.1U7. It must have been moved to TrueNAS only. As you pointed out, this would only seem to be done to push people to 11.2 further supporting that we are little more than beta testers. Hence why I block FreeNAS from phoning home. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.