FreeNAS 11.1 contains a BSD patch I need - is it stable enough to early update from 11.0-U4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stilez

Guru
I am being hit by a ZFS issue that's reportedly part-fixed by FreeBSD patch r319096, which is in FreeBSD 11.1R.

I'd like to early-upgrade my FreeNAS 11.0-U4 server to 11.1-PRERELEASE. I've checked the roadmap and it lists 19 outstanding issues, none of which are relevant to me (jails, Kerberos, resilver scheduling, admin emails etc).

It's listed as an imminent release within a week or so, presumably that means "once these last items are fixed".

Is it the experience of beta testers that apart from these specific bugs, FreeNAS 11.1 has had enough testing and feedback that it's probably safe to update my NAS to the prerelease version a week or so before it becomes an official release?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's probably safe. Generally speaking, the fewer weird things you do, the better your chances of not encountering problems.

Stilez

Guru
If I upgrade early to 11.1 (or other very-near-to-release RC/BETA in future I guess), is there an issue getting back on the main release track in the UI after the final release comes out?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Good question. There has been some confusion with the trains and I'm not sure if it's been fixed by now. Worst case, you have to upload an older config backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.