Freenas 1.1u6 can't boot from USB. Zfs-boot error 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedrek

Explorer
Hello.
So far, my Freenas system started with two USB flash drives operating in mirroring mode. From time to time, one of the pendrives required resilvering as the system removed it. It helped. Today I was unable to run the system in general. After connecting the monitor I get a ZFS Boot 11.1.U6 error - error 5. Please help me bring the system back to life, without losing data from hard drives (5x 4TB)

Attachments

• 20181028_131529.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 491

hescominsoon

Patron
you can easily reinstall the operating system to your usb drives and you will not touch the data drives. You can import them after the reinstall is completed.

Jedrek

Explorer
Thanks @hescominsoon
I have a question about setting.
He would like to ask about such issues: 1. have the settings been saved or must I reset all settings again? 2. jails I have on a separate disk. Will the settings of jails be preserved? 3. Can I immediately create version 11.2 or only 11.1-u6? 4. What is the risk of data loss when reinstalling to version 11.1-u6 and 11.2 and whether version 11.2 is already stable enough that you can work on it?

I was today recovery my system but I was have a permanent problem with adds second (identical) usb drive to boot.
Non stop i see on external monitor errors (write, read) and my drive is permanently degraded and removed.
I tested (extendly) my usb drives (two identical) and not have any errors !
I can't attaché my second drive to existing boot usb drive.
Many times ago we both working.
Maybe is a problem with build 11-1u6 ?

Ps. I use for booting device the two identical 64GB Samsung USB 3.0 drives. Maybe is a too big storage ?

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
It's a bad idea to use USB 3.0 drives for booting. Take it to hot on your constant use. You should use USB 2.0 drives and they only need to be 16 gig

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Jedrek

Explorer
Thanks @Chris Moore

Hello.
It is a pity that I did not know before that USB flash drives are not recommended.
Unfortunately, but I have bought another Samsung USB 3.1 Flash Drive Plus 32GB pendrives (x2 pcs).
Today I do not have time but tomorrow I will try to install the system on these pendrives.

I will have to buy more USB 2.0 flash drives. Which brands do you recommend?
Samsung, SanDisk or some other?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hardware Requirements
http://www.freenas.org/hardware-requirements/
USB drives were once the suggested option and they can still be used, but they are not the preferred option. I use regular laptop style (small capacity) hard disk drives and many users are opting for small capacity SSDs, but if you must use a USB drive, USB 2.0 is the way to go because of the overheating issue with USB 3.0 drives that are under constant use.
Many of the forum members report good service from the SanDisk Cruzer Fit:
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Low-Profile-Drive-SDCZ33-016G-B35/dp/B005FYNSZA
It is important to be sure that your system dataset and log files are not being stored on the boot pool. The activity of those files will wear out almost any USB drive in a very short time: http://doc.freenas.org/11/system.html#system-dataset

Jedrek

Explorer
Thanks @Chris Moore
My system-dataset and logs are located on volume 1 (hdd) (no boot drive)
Thanks for help with select sandisk marks.

Now I use the 6 HDDs for data (5x4TB with ZFS and 1 x 500GB for jails) and I have only 6 SATA ports.
I don't enought free SATA ports for next HDD/SDD drive. I must use the pendrive for boot device.

Hello
I am considering another solution. Is it good to install a 16GB solid state drive as a boot drive?
Since I do not have a free SATA connector, this disk would be placed in an external SATA enclosure -> USB 3.0 and so connected to Freenas?
Is this a good solution?

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I would say that the USB 3.0 is a bad choice. USB 2.0 will be more reliable. Just based on my experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.