freebsd-update command not found

ghostwolf59

Contributor
I would like to update my freeBSD version as root (core system) (not targeting a jail) in my FreeNAS-11.2-U7 installation.

Current installed version is 11.2-STABLE (would like to move to 11.3-RELEASE-p5 (something I managed to do successfully for all my jails)
freeBSD-version returns 11.2-STABLE

When I try pkg update I receive...
Newer FreeBSD version for package bctoolbox:
To ignore this error set IGNORE_OSVERSION=yes
- package: 1103000
- running kernel: 1102500
Allow missmatch now?[Y/n]:

Then tried to run the freebsd-update command (freebsd-update fetch install) but command not found is returned
zsh: command not found: freebsd-update

Anyone that can shed some info on what the workaround for this would be?

seanm

Guru
I would like to update my freeBSD version as root (core system) (not targeting a jail) in my FreeNAS-11.2-U7 installation.

Current installed version is 11.2-STABLE (would like to move to 11.3-RELEASE-p5 (something I managed to do successfully for all my jails)
freeBSD-version returns 11.2-STABLE

Wouldn't we all. :)

Thing is, though FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD, you need to think of it as it's own OS really. The only proper way to update it is to wait for the next FreeNAS release. Which is finally soon, but not here yet (almost 3 months since FreeBSD 11.2 was EoL'ed).

ghostwolf59

Contributor
Wouldn't we all. :)

Thing is, though FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD, you need to think of it as it's own OS really. The only proper way to update it is to wait for the next FreeNAS release. Which is finally soon, but not here yet (almost 3 months since FreeBSD 11.2 was EoL'ed).

oh! Ok, thanks for that info - thought I whould have been able to update freeBSD similar to what we can do on the jails