Forums show ads on mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

anmnz

Patron
I've not been reading the FreeNAS forums much recently, but today I opened them up in Chrome on Android and was greeted by lots of large (half-screen) advertisements, seems like one at the top of each page and more below.

I'm sure we didn't get these before the XenForo 2 upgrade. (I don't see these on PC but I do have adblockers there.)

Am I missing something, like is there a simple way to turn these off, or am I just confused about whether they used to be present?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-12-09-18-22-48-777_com.android.chrome.png
    Screenshot_2018-12-09-18-22-48-777_com.android.chrome.png
    475.1 KB · Views: 765

adrianwi

Guru
Same on iOS using Chrome. Please switch them off, they are huge!

kdragon75

Wizard
Yeah at least make them banner sized so its not hogging the whole screen! Not to mention the network usages. It would be nice to NOT pay to see ads on my LTE...

Arwen

MVP
Even for simple desktop / laptop use, the adverisements have multiplied.
They are in the middle of threads, and every few posts, not just at the top.
It's a bit confusing, since I had to learn that I need to continue scrolling down
past them to make sure I read all the responses.

kdragon75

Wizard
Gotta get that $$$

kdragon75

Wizard
I can't tell if iX is a systems integrator that happens to make software or a software company that happens to sell servers... I don't know if they know. It seems lie Netgate is doing quite well but iX can't afford this or that. Granted pfSense has a much wider pool of potential customers,m I still feel iX is missing out on some opportunities so they compensate where they can.

Note, this is all speculation and is not based on any inside information.

kdragon75

Wizard
Just took a peek ver at the pfsense forum, while ugly and unreadable, there are no ads anywhere. I wonder if IBM, Dell, EMC, NetApp, or the like have ads on there forums :p.

/me pokes the bear with a long stick...

Constantin

Vampire Pig
.. or Firefox with Adblock and Ghostery.

FWIW, I'm happy to support communities financially rather than watch ads. Too bad that most internet folk don't have the same attitude.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Ads have been disabled on mobile because they were taking up too much screen space.

We won't be making any changes to desktop ads at this time. At the end of the day, FreeNAS is a free product and the small amount of revenue generated helps offset the cost of sustaining such a large online community. If you don't want to support the project by viewing ads we completely understand. There are third party plugins that can be used like Adblock that will block ads on the forums.

.. or Firefox with Adblock and Ghostery.

FWIW, I'm happy to support communities financially rather than watch ads. Too bad that most internet folk don't have the same attitude.

I'd be open to having a sponsoring membership tier that disables all ads but is that really a better option? In my experience it seemed like the consensus was occasional ads were better because there's no out of pocket cost.

We may still make adjustments to the frequency of ads based on user feedback but I can't make guarantees. Thank you all for the feedback! Please keep the ideas coming.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I'd be open to having a sponsoring membership tier that disables all ads but is that really a better option?
This is your board and the many pearls of wisdom here have to get paid for somehow. It's one reason that I elected to buy a Mini XL and various iXsystem add-ons way back when. Now that I'm into hardware that iX isn't selling (i.e. considering an upgrade to a X10 board), it likely makes sense for me to put my money where my mouth is and start sending outright cash.

EDIT: This is frustrating. I tried donating monthly per paypal and I get a "Things don't appear to be working at the moment, please try again later" error message from Paypal. Perhaps it's a work-related filter but I doubt it - I've bought things via paypal before. I'll try again later.

CraigD

Patron
This is your board and the many pearls of wisdom here have to get paid for somehow. It's one reason that I elected to buy a Mini XL and various iXsystem add-ons way back when. Now that I'm into hardware that iX isn't selling (i.e. considering an upgrade to a X10 board), it likely makes sense for me to put my money where my mouth is and start sending outright cash.

EDIT: This is frustrating. I tried donating monthly per paypal and I get a "Things don't appear to be working at the moment, please try again later" error message from Paypal. Perhaps it's a work-related filter but I doubt it - I've bought things via paypal before. I'll try again later.

I don't do ads at all

PayPal worked for me 5 minutes ago

Have Fun
1544565786213.png

Jeremy

TrueNAS Marketing Team
iXsystems
Hey, if you're serious about preferring crypto to PayPal, sure.

I've considered setting up BAT, XRP too (Coil or XRPtipbot). I don't think enough people use crypto yet. I just checked the balances of our btc, ltc, and eth wallets it totals about $20, ha.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
PayPal worked for me 5 minutes ago
Hi Craig,
Like you, I was able to donate on a one-time basis with Paypal but the monthly subscription option still does not work (which is what I wanted to do earlier). Tried Chrome and Safari (OS X user here) so this error may be worth looking into by the FreeNAS team.

Status
Not open for further replies.