Forum badge bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinClift

Patron
Anyone know where bugs in the forum software should be reported?

bugs.freenas.org doesn't seem like the correct place, as that's specific to the FreeNAS software side of things.

The bug that's been showing up for me lately is kind of minor - seems like a caching issue - but should probably be looked at. It's just the badges shown for a person are sometimes very incorrect. Here's a screenshot showing badges for me... having posted 1000 messages, stuff with 500+ likes, etc. Except I've not actually achieved either of those things. ;)

The incorrect badges don't always show up either. Most of the time, the correct ones are displayed.

Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 22.59.54.png

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Anyone know where bugs in the forum software should be reported?

bugs.freenas.org doesn't seem like the correct place, as that's specific to the FreeNAS software side of things.

The bug that's been showing up for me lately is kind of minor - seems like a caching issue - but should probably be looked at. It's just the badges shown for a person are sometimes very incorrect. Here's a screenshot showing badges for me... having posted 1000 messages, stuff with 500+ likes, etc. Except I've not actually achieved either of those things. ;)

The incorrect badges don't always show up either. Most of the time, the correct ones are displayed.

View attachment 13826

Well that's pretty hilarious. Thanks for reporting this. I'll have a look at it and see if we can fix up the trophy system.

JustinClift

Patron
The icons are inconsistent, changing fairly often. eg sometimes it'll show just the correct ones, other times it'll show a random selection of others

JustinClift

Patron
Found something interesting about this behaviour, which might point to whatever is causing it.

If I go here:

These are the badges showing up:

Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 17.55.52.png

Looking further down the page, the last comment is by pirateghost:

Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 17.55.58.png

pirateghost's stats indicate he would have achieved the requirements for the badges I'm being shown.

So, looking at a different page instead:

There are less badges shown in the drop down profile:

Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 17.58.42.png

Co-incidentally, the posts there are by aNuStart, whose stats indicate a new user. Which seems to be in line with the badges shown in my profile.

At a rough guess, some part of the user selection code for displaying badges in the drop down list is selecting the wrong user.

Last edited:

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Oh man. I can duplicate the behavior now. OK. Well that helps me understand what is happening. I'll get this fixed. Thanks!

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
I have tried and tried and am having no luck getting this plugin to work properly. I'm not getting a response from the maintainer of the plugin either so I think it's time that we retire the extra trophies plugin. If anyone disagrees or has a suggestion for a different plugin please let me know.

Best,

Josh

JustinClift

Patron
I have tried and tried and am having no luck getting this plugin to work properly. I'm not getting a response from the maintainer of the plugin either so I think it's time that we retire the extra trophies plugin. If anyone disagrees or has a suggestion for a different plugin please let me know.

Yeah, looking through the XenForo forums the other day... it seems like a common problem with (third-party?) plugins.

eg people create a plugin for sale in a burst of enthusiasm... but after a while lose interest and then stop doing anything.

Many examples of that on there. :(

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Plugins being abandoned is not a nice thing. However, I believe in most (possibly all) cases, the install of a plugin modifies various templates of the forum site. If the wrong person is being referenced in the dropdown and therefore displaying the wrong trophies, then perhaps the template containing the dropdown is where the error lies (literally too). It is not always easy to grok how the logic in a template is expected to function and sometimes unique variables get used which are not properly descriptive (or other weird constructions which make adjustments difficult). I cannot say whether an old plugin got broken due to a XenForo update or what exactly caused the error to appear. I do believe that investigation into the affected template(s) should help track what happened.

I have seen issues where a plugin was installed multiple times which caused duplicate information in the template, and its entirely possible that multiple trophy plugins may have a weird interaction. When a plugin ONLY adds a reference to its own template as the single modification it may make to "base" template(s) then there is a lot less chance for elaborate bits to be damaged after plugin install, and such damage would likely prevent plugin updates or removal (since afaik its often a search-replace install/remove sort of operation). Templates can also be modified directly to add similar capabilities as what a plugin may provide but it would become an indistinguishable part of the template since the change would be outside of the plugin system.

JustinClift

Patron
Yeah, it could be from all kinds of things. Don't suppose you've the time/interest to do the investigation? :D

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
If you want to give it a shot @Tigersharke it's all yours :). I can grab the plugin again if we don't have it anymore.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Interest yes. Time should be easier to find in Winter to get various things done. I hope to take a peek at things soon, possibly within the next day. On the other forums I don't believe a removed plugin is erased from the system, if that is the same here, it ought to be possible to re-install if needed. What is the name of the plugin assumed to be at fault?

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Neither the forum badges nor their absence generated much comment, so I suggest we are probably fine without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.