FN11 RC3 to RC4 Update - Cannot Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReadyPlayGo

Dabbler
Code:
This is a freenas data disk and can not boot system. System halted.
I had a fresh install of FN11 RC3 with 1 volume, 1 dataset, and 1 SMB share. The OS was installed on a 32GB SuperDOM in a SuperDOM port on a SuperMicro MoBo. The volume is composed of 6x6TB WD Reds in RAIDZ2. It was all working great.

I updated from RC3 to RC4, and now FreeNAS thinks that it is installed on a data disk. BIOS still clearly shows the SuperDOM SATA port as a boot priority.

I assume I now have to reinstall the OS fresh, manually import the volume, and resetup the data share.

How does this happen? What should I have done differently? How do I avoid this in the future?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
BIOS still clearly shows the SuperDOM SATA port as a boot priority.
Don't trust it. Remove everything that isn't the DOM from the boot list, just to be safe. If that doesn't work, then you can try reinstalling.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Try force booting with the correct device if your motherboard supports that. It sounds like the boot order just got messed up or your DOM is really dead.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Try force booting with the correct device if your motherboard supports that.
That's also unreliable, unfortunately. ASRock actually removed that on my X99 WS in the 2.x BIOS, presumably because it didn't work correctly. (Thanks, AMI!)

mmoukaCZ

Cadet
Please help, I made an upgrade from RC3 - RC4, but then the system did not run and shows the message on the screen.

On another PC system

HW HP Proliant ML 330 G6, 12GB ECC RAM, Proc 2,4 GHz, system flash 16 GB, data 4*1 TB WD Red

Attachments

• IMG_20170611_175710.jpg
    IMG_20170611_175710.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Reinstall from scratch, upload your config backup and pay for my medical bills for the neck injury I sustained trying to read your screenshot.

gpsguy

Just lay your SurfacePro flat and turn it 180 degrees. :smile:

... pay for my medical bills for the neck injury I sustained trying to read your screenshot.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.