Migrating Arch Linux VM from Corral to FN11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brer

Explorer
I'm trying to get the Arch Linux VM I created using FN10(Corral) to run from FN11 but I'm not getting past the boot loader as it can't find the relevant boot files. The VM was created with a GRUB boot loader by default and there was no option to switch to UEFI when creating from the GUI in Corral.

From FN11 I have created a new VM, pointed a new Disk Device to the data store holding the OS image. I can start the VM and VNC to it but I can see the Boot Failed message. I can get into the Shell and exit the Shell into the menu options but from here I'm stuck.

The VM is running with these switches :-

Code:
bhyve -A -P -H -c 1 -m 2 \
	-s 0:0,hostbridge \
	-s 31,lpc \
	-l com1,/dev/nmdm1A \
	-l bootrom,/usr/local/share/uefi-firmware/BHYVE_UEFI.fd \
	-s 3,virtio-net,tap0 \
	-s 29,fbuf,tcp=0.0.0.0:5902,w=1024,h=768,wait \
	-s 30,xhci,tablet \
	-s 4,ahci-hd,/dev/zvol/nas_data/vm/arch_linux_vm/os arch

Do I need to switch boot loaders from within Arch itself? I have the option to boot back into Corral and load up the VM from there but from the relevant articles online and in these forums it suggests the BHYVE_UEFI.fd has the relevant detail I need.

With regards to the VM disk, the device is set to BLOCK mode and I have no way of seeing this from the BSD shell, can it be switch to either file or disk mode without compromising the VM?

upload_2017-5-3_13-27-45.png

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

KrisBee

Wizard

Brer

Explorer
Were you able to figure out how to do this?

Sadly no, what I ended up doing was creating a new install via FreeNAS Corral using the link from KrisBee above and following this article to ensure the partitions were set correctly for the bootloader, http://www.adonespitogo.com/articles/arch-linux-EFI-installation/

I only made 3 partitions for the VM, 2Gb for Boot on /dev/sda1, 28Gb for the Linux install on /dev/sda2 and 2Gb for Swap on /dev/sda5.

The boot drive was formatted using :-

mkfs.fat -F32 /dev/sda1

The other partitions formatted as a standard Linux using :-

mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda3

Once that was sorted the install was a breeze and followed any standard install, I was then able to boot both VM's and I just transferred all the relevant scripts and installed any necessary programs to the new VM. Once fully tested it started first time when using it with FreeNAS 11, you just have to get your devices right which can be taken from your Corral settings.

If you need any help then let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.