Resource icon

FN11.3 iocage jails - Plex, Tautulli, Sonarr, Radarr, Lidarr, Jackett, Transmission, Organizr

rawkus

Explorer
Attached are files of Network global, me showing ping works inside the jail itself and my resolve config file with no luck

Default gateway is 192.168.30.1 , freenas box is 192.168.30.119

I am having the same issue. Ended up having to use the plex plugin until I can find a solution

Mrdini

Cadet
So I've been playing with the excellent scripts by @ornias which seems to work for me so far although mostly just getting my head round how it all fits together at the moment. I'm not sure if my question 100% belongs here or its more of a Plex thing - but I wanted to make sure that everything fits together and works nicely from one app to another.

So - I already have a straightforward Plex plugin jail set up and I've already organised my media into various folders to represent where they originally came from such as OTA TV shows, foreign TV shows, anime & films... All on one dataset, but separate folders and libraries in Plex.

The scripts by @Pentaflake and @ornias on the other hand appears to assume that everything is either a movie or a TV show in a /media folder.

Now - I can adjust the scripts myself (they don't look too complex), but that means a lot of work (I think?) in maintaining different folders and tracking upstream scripts/ornias's git project whenever I wanted to update the jails/add a new app or am I looking at this in the wrong way?

Thanks for any thoughts!

ornias

Wizard
For questions regarding my project, I think it fits more in its own thread on this forum.
But I'll try to give a more answer anyway :)

For my script (and also for the one @Pentaflake made), it's important to have one place for sonarr and radarr to "dump" the shows after transmission is done. Thats why they are all in one media folder...

For my script:
I could add config options to add "custom media datasets", besides the standard 'shows', 'movies' etc.
i would say: file a feature request for it ;)

But I'm not going to hijack @Pentaflake's support thread here over it :P

Mrdini

Cadet
For [the scripts] it's important to have one place for sonarr and radarr to "dump" the shows after transmission is done. Thats why they are all in one media folder...

Ah I did suspect that would be the case (I've only used Plex extensively up until now, none of the other apps). I imagine that in theory I could create other media folders "outside" the scripts framework and manage these manually so to speak? i.e. move any "niche" shows/films myself as and when needed. And also these folders should be and remains untouched by the scripts.

I may file a feature request later - I think I need to go away and play and understand how it all fits together first.

For questions regarding my project, I think it fits more in its own thread on this forum.
You should! Your scripts looks good so far and certainly removes some of the more failable human input factors - plus can contribute new apps (I might have a go at doing one for bazarr if no-one else gets there first).

ornias

Wizard
For manual use:
With my script I think you should be fine with just creating additional folders under "media" and dumping your things in there.
It would never wipe datasets anyway ;)

For both our scripts you are perfectly able to just add folders to the jail using the FreeNAS GUI. Only downside for my script is the fact you need to repeat it after every install, but for the solution by @Pentaflake you could just repeat the stepts to connect folders to the jail and be good to go :)

wah00kid

Dabbler
Thanks for the great thread I wouldn't have been able to do this without the OP and the help throughout this thread. I wanted to add a bit of things I did that helped out in case anyone else is in my circumstance.

I am working on a fresh install of 11.2-u8 with the config from my 11.1-u7. I am recreating jails instead of migrating.

Plex Two things

1) plexmediaserver-plexpass-1.19.1.2589 is causing all kinds of trouble for FreeBSD people - this is not related to jail creation per this guide but something else.

2) My way of fixing it was to read a post that basically said the difference between plexmediaserver and plexmediaserver-plexpass is more about a beta/stable rather than anything related to having plexpass or not. I would rather run stable than bleeding edge so I
Code:
pkg remove plexmediaserver-plexpass
from within the jail then picking up with the plexmediaserver install. Sure enough I logged into the GUI and entered my login with my plexpass info and had access to all of those features.

For all the other jails I created I couldn't get the automated pkg install during the iocage create stage of any of these. so my installs looked more like this:

Code:
iocage create -n "transmission" -r 11.2-RELEASE ip4_addr="vnet0|XXXXXXXXXXX" defaultrouter="XXXXXXXXX" vnet="on" allow_raw_sockets="1" boot="on" allow_tun="1"

then I would open a shell in the jail and run

Code:
pkg update && pkg upgrade -y
    pkg install bash
    pkg install unzip
    pkg install unrar
    pkg install transmission
    pkg install openvpn
    pkg install ca_root_nss

So I did this each time with the specific pkgs that each service needed.

I believe this was because I am on 11.2 and during the pkg updates I would get an error about kernel versions. As I am planning on going from 11.2-u8 to 11.3 once I clear out all the isssues from 11.1-u7 so I am not too concerned about this for right now.

The last piece that was tricky for me and so an explanation might help others was the openvpn.conf creation.

I use Torguard and they have a page in account service which will basically create a openvpn.conf file specifically for the settings that you chose related to encryption. Once I used this file I needed to grab the entrance IP and copy that into ipfw_rules also I needed to edit the openvpn.conf to provide my user name and password I did this with this edit:
Code:
auth-user-pass pass.txt
then created a pass.txt file with my username on first line and password on second. I am sure there are better ways to do this but this is how I did it.

jemmicat

Cadet
I followed the instructions for Lidarr and it works and scans my music directory. It won't find anything though as the version specified in here is several versions behind. When I update Lidarr, it no longer will scan my music directory at all. Any ideas as to why? Permissions did not change... only the version of Lidarr

jemmicat

Cadet
recursively re-applying permissions from the new UI fixed Lidarr's write-test error for me. Also was having issues with the webui disconnecting consistently. Deleted /config/.mono & changed the rcfile to use
Code:
export XDG_CONFIG_HOME=/tmp/xdg

apparently something with the permissions on my jail's /config mount (a + on the end of them indicating Windows ACLs) was causing mono to not write its keypairs & so SignalR was throwing a 500 error.

Can you help me diagnose this as I seem to be having the same problem. I changed the files as per your instructions... your pastebin files are no longer available. My root folder I am trying to share is root:wheel 777 and yet I cannot get that write test to run. Same issue... permission denied.

ChaosBlades

Contributor
I think it should install 'transmission-daemon' and not 'transmission'. I had an issue on the latest repo when 3.00 came out. Had to uninstall 'transmission' and install 'transmission-daemon' to get things working again.

Mannekino

Patron
I think it should install 'transmission-daemon' and not 'transmission'. I had an issue on the latest repo when 3.00 came out. Had to uninstall 'transmission' and install 'transmission-daemon' to get things working again.

Yeah, I think the guide needs to be adjusted for the latest version. I ran into this issue with upgrading my Transmission 2.9.4 jail, it removed packages. After doing some searching I found that there are two flavors and the transmission is something else than the package we're used to.

Mannekino

Patron
Well, I'm not 100% sure but I think they repackaged some stuff upstream. The package transmission-daemon is now at version 3.0.0 and this is the same what you would get when you installed transmission before the change. Maybe someone else can explain it better.

You can try it out for yourself in a test Jail if you want. If you do install transmission and finish the proces, and then install transmission-daemon some of the packages that came along with the first one will get removed, including transmission.

ornias

Wizard
You can try it out for yourself in a test Jail if you want. If you do install transmission and finish the proces, and then install transmission-daemon some of the packages that came along with the first one will get removed, including transmission.

But updating transmission doesn't end up in a correct install of 3.0.0?
Simply put: would I need to move away from transmission to transmission-daemon to update?

Mannekino

Patron
Correct, I tried updating my Transmission Jail last week and mistakenly ended up deleting the application. It ran through the first round, and then it asked me if I wanted to remove some packages. I accepted and afterwards Transmission wasn't running and the command to start the service no longer worked. I then tried to reinstall the transmission package and it still didn't work. I then restored a snapshot and it worked again. I have a separate datasets for the Jail and the configuration directory so I didn't have to restore the configuration directory.

After some searching I found out the correct package for 3.0.0 was transmission-daemon so I installed that. It again asked me to remove some other packages (probably bundled with transmission). I accepted and after that everything worked just fine again for me.

ornias

Wizard
Correct, I tried updating my Transmission Jail last week and mistakenly ended up deleting the application. It ran through the first round, and then it asked me if I wanted to remove some packages. I accepted and afterwards Transmission wasn't running and the command to start the service no longer worked. I then tried to reinstall the transmission package and it still didn't work. I then restored a snapshot and it worked again. I have a separate datasets for the Jail and the configuration directory so I didn't have to restore the configuration directory.

After some searching I found out the correct package for 3.0.0 was transmission-daemon so I installed that. It again asked me to remove some other packages (probably bundled with transmission). I accepted and after that everything worked just fine again for me.

Thanks I made a note/issue about it for JailMan, because we certainly don't want transmission to break on update! :)

dak180

Patron
Yeah, I think the guide needs to be adjusted for the latest version. I ran into this issue with upgrading my Transmission 2.9.4 jail, it removed packages. After doing some searching I found that there are two flavors and the transmission is something else than the package we're used to.
This should be fixed with 3.00_1 as the utility executables have been moved to their own sub package that no longer conflicts across the other transmission packages.

ornias

Wizard
This should be fixed with 3.00_1 as the utility executables have been moved to their own sub package that no longer conflicts across the other transmission packages.
So in TLDR, just pkg upgrade'ing transmission (without daemon) should work fine now?

nathan.p.george

Dabbler
Sorry if I've missed something, just want to double check before I go ahead with this guide, will the VPN secure all sensitive data ie. Jackett, Sonarr, Radarr before it gets to transmission, just want to be sure that this method will mask all activity.

dak180

Patron
So in TLDR, just pkg upgrade'ing transmission (without daemon) should work fine now?
As long as you skip 3.00 and go directly to 3.00_1 everything should work.