first time build, 32TB SSD, feedbacks/advices appreciated

be7taname

Dabbler
My main objective is to build a reliable and fast File Server for up to 50 users. Most likely I will not open VM on it.

Below is my part list:
CPUAMD Threadripper 2950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor
MotherboardASRock X399 Taichi ATX sTR4 Motherboard
MemoryCrucial 128 GB (8 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666 CL19 Memory
Storage8 x Western Digital Red SA500 4 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (32TB SSD total). I will configure it to be raidz2 pool so that it may provide 20+TB storage space.

1. Could you please let me know if it will work or anything I need to pay attention to?
2. Will the CPU and the motherboard be supported by FreeNAS and/or TrueNAS Core?
3. Is there a TrueNAS commercial system providing similar specification and performance described above?
Please also let me know what other information I should provide to get better help here. Thank you!

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Could you please let me know if it will work or anything I need to pay attention to?
I have seen others with similar setups that are working.
Will the CPU and the motherboard be supported by FreeNAS and/or TrueNAS Core?
Perhaps not "preferred" (Intel has much more forum members with experience), but TrueNAS CORE has the right things to make it work. You may need to set the power states and a few other BIOS tweaks... check other threads for those.
Is there a TrueNAS commercial system providing similar specification and performance described above?
Probably the R series:
That will be Intel rather than AMD, but guaranteed performance and business support would be the upside.

be7taname

Dabbler
thanks a lot for you replies, @sretalla !
I read the guideline and also realized that Intel CPU is more preferred. But I am not certain what Intel CPU works best for my setup. Do you have recommendation? Thank you!

Etorix

Wizard
Look at the Xeon Scalable line.