First NAS- double checking the hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

andregu

Cadet
Hello everyone, long time lurker first-time poster.
I'm looking to build my first NAS for home use(Plex server, sonarr, etc) but never more than 2 1080p streams at one time and after reading quite a bit and checking prices online I came up with this build:

I'm based in the UK, so amazon.co.uk was the best option as far as I know

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core G4400 3.3 GHz Processor CPU - 44.97£
MB: ASROCK C236 WSI Rack Server Board - 191.23£
RAM: Kingston KVR21R15D4/16 RAM 16 GB 2133 MHz DDR4 ECC 156.99£ x2 - buying one first and then upgrading. This is the part I'm least sure about because compatibility
PSU: Seasonic G450 450W 80+ Gold - 75.66£
CASE: Fractal Design Node 304 Case 73.03£
HDD: WD Red 1TB NAS Desktop 54.50£ x6 I was planning to start small, do a z2 which would give me about 4TB from what i saw online and then upgrade down the line
Total: £1,025.87 (my budget is around 1000)

anything that should be changed? either for better performance and/or price?

thanks to all, and happy holidays

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I don't care much for small cases stuffed with drives, so I recommend you buy a proven server grade motherboard and a case that fits and cools a bunch of drives. I like all the rest of your choices. Of course that ram will probably not work with the recommended mobo.:oops:

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Found the memory for the board I recommended here
:)

tvsjr

Guru
I'd use caution with Asrock. Their support is limited to email, at least in the US. They'll call you back if they feel like it, at their convenience. I just returned a defective Z370 board to Amazon and purchased an Asus instead, because Asrock refused to call me to address a BIOS issue in real time.

andregu

Cadet
I don't care much for small cases stuffed with drives, so I recommend you buy a proven server grade motherboard and a case that fits and cools a bunch of drives. I like all the rest of your choices. Of course that ram will probably not work with the recommended mobo.:oops:

my issue with that MB is that is ATX im very limited with space, so is either ITX or with the right case Matx

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
  • Form Factor: MicroATX, 9.6 x 9.6 inch / 24.4 x 24.4 cm
The board is micro ATX, that's what the letter M in the model
number designates.

pallee

Cadet
Looks like I am in the same boat as OT. Looks like we have the same/similar requirements concerning physical footprint of the case, number of disks, processing power etc. Linking my thread here that I apparently wrote at the same time... https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/first-nas-build-mitx.60067/

To mod: Maybe the threads should join to reduce clutter in the forum and improve "findability" of the info :) ? (I'll happily merge my thread here If mods think it is a good idea)

Status
Not open for further replies.