First NAS Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

IsaacOB1

Cadet
Hi, im wanting to build my first NAS so that I can store all of my GoPro 4k footage. I want to be able to stream and edit off it. Here is the specs I'm thinking after looking at the recommended hardware.

CPU: Intel Pentium G4600 (Is this powerful enough?)
Motherboard: MSI Intel H1100M Pro VD plus
Ram: 8gb Corsair DDR4 Value Select 2133Mhz (Leaving slot free to upgrade later)
PSU: 450W Corsair VS450
Storage: 2x 6tb WD Red, 120gb Kingston A400 SSD

Let me know if this would be powerful enough and if there all compatible.
Thankyou!

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Well, you can't ask a bunch of automobile hobbyists if they think buying a Ford Fiesta is a good idea, because you know what the answer will be. If you want to buy a car just for going to the grocery store, you don't ask the local car collector club what they think.

But I'll answer anyway:

You will certainly be able to store and stream your GoPro files with this setup. I don't know what "editing" those will entail, so I cannot answer that. But overall, while FreeNAS will work, this is a pretty bad mobo/RAM choice. The CPU is fine, and the storage is fine. But, going back to the main heart of the system:

This equipment is not what we'd recommend for FreeNAS. Our hardware guides will make that clear. There are no motherboards for 40 quid that are even remotely going to meet with our approval. The most serious problem with this motherboard is it has the worst possible networking hardware on it (Realtek 8111). The motherboard also has the H110 chipset on it, which is among the least desirable choices amongst Intel's current chipsets for a FreeNAS. Among other things, it means you cannot use proper server RAM for your FreeNAS.

If you're trying to save money just to save money, then don't. Buy the proper things. You'll find our hardware guides on here. If you're trying to save money because you have to, then, I would guess what you are proposing would "work", but I am equally sure FreeNAS is a no better choice in that case than some random Linux installation, as you would not be taking any special advantage of FreeNAS's ability to provide superior NAS services.

IsaacOB1

Cadet
Well, you can't ask a bunch of automobile hobbyists if they think buying a Ford Fiesta is a good idea, because you know what the answer will be. If you want to buy a car just for going to the grocery store, you don't ask the local car collector club what they think.

But I'll answer anyway:

You will certainly be able to store and stream your GoPro files with this setup. I don't know what "editing" those will entail, so I cannot answer that. But overall, while FreeNAS will work, this is a pretty bad mobo/RAM choice. The CPU is fine, and the storage is fine. But, going back to the main heart of the system:

This equipment is not what we'd recommend for FreeNAS. Our hardware guides will make that clear. There are no motherboards for 40 quid that are even remotely going to meet with our approval. The most serious problem with this motherboard is it has the worst possible networking hardware on it (Realtek 8111). The motherboard also has the H110 chipset on it, which is among the least desirable choices amongst Intel's current chipsets for a FreeNAS. Among other things, it means you cannot use proper server RAM for your FreeNAS.

If you're trying to save money just to save money, then don't. Buy the proper things. You'll find our hardware guides on here. If you're trying to save money because you have to, then, I would guess what you are proposing would "work", but I am equally sure FreeNAS is a no better choice in that case than some random Linux installation, as you would not be taking any special advantage of FreeNAS's ability to provide superior NAS services.
Thanks for the reply,

Well I just want a storage system that is reliable and that is stable. I don’t really have a budget and don’t mind spending on what it needs but also don’t wanting to be spending too much where resources are not being used.

Is there any motherboards you would recommend? Also looking at RAM you guys recommend ECC although almost everything I’ve looked at is non ECC so is there any recommendations for that.

As I said there’s no limit money wise and I don’t want to go for a system that’s so low end it’s gonna cause me problems in the long run. So if there’s any recommendations then please let me know. Thanks

UPDATE: Found this motherboard which seems to be more like a server motherboard. Also found this RAM which is ECC. I believe there both compatible with each other and that the motherboard has the correct features for it to work. The only thing I see wrong is that the motherboard only has 2 6gb/s SATA ports and 4 3gb/s which means some drives will be slower than others. If there’s other motherboards which are better then let me know.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Have you read the Hardware Recommendations Guide, linked in my sig? It should be pretty easy to shop around with that in hand and get a good idea of what prices are like, new and used, for the various options. You'll also have a good understanding of what to look for if you come across something not specifically named.

CraigD

Patron
UPDATE: Found this motherboard which seems to be more like a server motherboard. Also found this RAM which is ECC. I believe there both compatible with each other and that the motherboard has the correct features for it to work. The only thing I see wrong is that the motherboard only has 2 6gb/s SATA ports and 4 3gb/s which means some drives will be slower than others. If there’s other motherboards which are better then let me know.

I use this board, and it works for me however:

The X10SL7-F is limited to 32GB RAM and will run older 1150 CPUs
The newer version supports 64GB RAM and supports newer 1151 CPUs

if you don't need more than 8 SATA ports the X11SSM-F board @Ericloewe uses is cheaper than the X11SSL-CF with fewer drive connections

Have Fun

Last edited:

IsaacOB1

Cadet
I use this board, and it works for me however:

The X10SL7-F is limited to 32GB RAM and will run older 1150 CPUs
The newer version supports 64GB RAM and supports newer 1151 CPUs

if you don't need more than 8 SATA ports the X11SSM-F board @Ericloewe uses is cheaper than the X11SSL-CF with fewer drive connections

Have Fun
Awesome, thanks for the feedback. Think I'll get the X11SSM-F board since only planning to have 5 drives and seems a nice board if I want to upgrade in the future. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.