First FreeNAS Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Ok I still can't get the board to post. The cpu fan spins and the IPMI led is flashing green but there is no output to the monitor.

I checked the case and there were two extra standoffs behind the memory slots on the motherboard, so I removed the board from the case but still nothing. I've tried putting the memory in different slots as well. Any thoughts? @Chris Moore This is my first time dealing with a build that hasn't worked immediately. :p
I recall we discussed hardware before, but I don't want to make incorrect assumptions.
Please go over the details of exactly what hardware you ended up with so I can be on the right starting point.
Then, please detail any troubleshooting you have done so I can get up to speed.
I will help you with this as much as possible.

Redcoat

MVP
Is JPG1 enabled - pins 1 and 2 jumpered? For an X9SRL-F, that is.

thatflashcat

Explorer
I recall we discussed hardware before, but I don't want to make incorrect assumptions.
Please go over the details of exactly what hardware you ended up with so I can be on the right starting point.
Then, please detail any troubleshooting you have done so I can get up to speed.
I will help you with this as much as possible.
The only components I'm using at the moment are:

CPU: Intel Xeon 2650 V2
Motherboard: Supermicro X9SRL-F
RAM: SAMSUNG 16GB PC3L-12800R DDR3-1600 ECC Registered
Power Supply: EVGA 650w

My first troubleshooting step was to remove the motherboard from the case. I then noticed that there were a couple of standoffs behind the memory that may have been in contact with the back of the board, but even outside of the case there was no POST. I then tried different memory slots or just one stick of memory, and still nothing. I have yet to reseat the CPU which would be my next step. I also know the cable and monitor are good since I used them with a different server recently.

Is JPG1 enabled - pins 1 and 2 jumpered? For an X9SRL-F, that is.
I just checked, and yes JPG1 is set to VGA enable.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I agree that re-seat of the CPU is a possibility, worthy of the try.
I can't remember what order but I think they call for the memory slots to be populated in a specific order. Did you get the manual for the board from the Supermicro site?

thatflashcat

Explorer
I agree that re-seat of the CPU is a possibility, worthy of the try.
I can't remember what order but I think they call for the memory slots to be populated in a specific order. Did you get the manual for the board from the Supermicro site?
I checked in the motherboard manual and connected the DIMMs in the correct two slots.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
My first troubleshooting step was to remove the motherboard from the case. I then noticed that there were a couple of standoffs behind the memory that may have been in contact with the back of the board, but even outside of the case there was no POST.
I am concerned that this may have caused permanent damage to some circuit either in the system board, processor or memory.
This could be bad...

thatflashcat

Explorer
I am concerned that this may have caused permanent damage to some circuit either in the system board, processor or memory.
This could be bad...

I looked at the X370 board in my main pc and it uses those standoffs. The horizontal layout of the memory on this board means the backs of the memory slots are right over a standoff in the middle of the board, and the same at the top of the board.

This makes me feel rather foolish because I have built many PCs and feel very confident doing it, I just didn't think about there being unused standoffs with a server board...

Status
Not open for further replies.