BUILD First FreeNAS project - Config check/questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

telvary

Cadet
Hi all, first time here !

I spent the last 24 hours reading hardware related posts and I still have some questions.

First, here's what I plan to build considering the following requirements :
  • Compact (I don't have a lot of space)
  • As quiet as possible (will be in my home office)
  • Reasonable power consumption

1/ Chassis : Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 with hotswap in the 5.25 bay
2/ Motherboard : Supermicro X10SL7-F
3/ CPU : Intel E3-1275v3 (because I can get one at a very cool price =) )
4/ RAM : 16GB DDR3 (Is DDRL3 interesting ?), probably kingston
5/ Cooling : lots of silent fans. Is watercooling reliable ? (with kits from corsair ?)
6/ Disks : I don't know :)

My idea is to have 2 or 3 types of storage :
1/ fastest but less space, for server applications/VM/frequently accessed files... using 3 or more SSD
2/ Storage volume with SATA or SAS disk. Is SAS better/worse the price ? (never had the chance to compare SAS disks :/)
3/ Backup volume with SATA disks (is SAS used in (2))

Thanks for your help.

JohnK

Patron
Some thoughts
1. Why a hotswop bay? Are you planning on removing 1 disk more than others?
2. Motherboard is good.
3. CPU has integrated graphics, something you would never use, 4W more than the e3-1270.
4. Personally I would just go with the normal ram.
5. If you are going to run 6 disk, I would recommend one more front fan. You are not going to over clock with a Supermicro so forget water cooling. Remember that it is not really your cpu that you are trying to keep cool but your disks.
6. I recommend wd red, but just because I'm biased.

If you are planning on installing FreeNas, I recommend you read CyberJock's guide and get a good understanding of volumes, disk etc. That will answer 1,2 and 3.

I don't think you will ever need more than SATA disks in a home setup.

telvary

Cadet
Hi, thanks for your reply.

1/ To extend the number of disks in the chassis.
2/ Now I have to find it in Europe =)
3/ I have a great price with this CPU, that's the only reason
4/ Ok. Anyone tried ?
5/ Exact. This was more for the silence and space optimization inside the chassis.
6/ So am I =)

Is it possible to have multiple Z-Pool ?

JohnK

Patron
1. A normal 5.25 to 3.5 bracket might be cheaper. I have both the FD Mini and Midi and though the Midi is bigger, I would recommend it over the Mini if you can live with a little more space. The thing I like most is the adjustable fan speed button on the front of the case rather than the back where you have to add a bracket for the Mini. In the long run I might move to the XL if I ever get up to 14 disks...
2. You might some of the other X10 boards easier in Europe, though they normally only have 6 SATA ports you can always add a M1015 card.
3. A good price is always a good reason. I bought my i3 because it was really a good price even though my Pentium is more than good enough for my FreeNas needs. In the long run I might even move the I3 to my MythTV back end and get another Pentium.
4. I have not read anything about ppl using those modules. I note that they are compatible with both 1.5V and 1.35V. I am not sure the SuperMicro SL7 can be adjusted for 1.35V. I don't see anything in my bios.
5. I the FD Mino you are not going to have space problems. No video card, small PSU and stock cpu cooler and you have space to burn. I have added two CoolerMaster fans to the front my Midi and move the front one to the top and my disk runs at around 26C.

I do not believe you can have multiple pools. Unless you have multiple servers :) My recommendation is to have all similar size disks.

Michael Wulff Nielsen

Contributor
Honestly, you could probably run a medium sized company of 6 WD Reds and 16 GB of memory. A setup like yours can most likely saturate a single gigabit connection with little trouble.

But regarding the X10 motherboard. I couldn't find it either in Europe so in the end I bought an ASUS P9D-M. Same chipset and works extremely well as long as you disable usb3 support.

You can have multiple pools. They are created from the volume manager.

But a simpler setup with 6 WD Reds in RaidZ2 will go a long way. You can then add an SSD cache drive if you need that kind of performance.

I would second JohnK's recommendation and say that 6*3TB WD Reds are the sweet spot at the moment.

Z300M

Guru
4. I have not read anything about ppl using those modules. I note that they are compatible with both 1.5V and 1.35V. I am not sure the SuperMicro SL7 can be adjusted for 1.35V. I don't see anything in my bios.

I haven't rechecked, but I am sure I saw certain 1.35V modules listed on the SuperMicro site as compatible with the X10SL7-F. Perhaps the switching is automatic.

JohnK

Patron
I haven't rechecked, but I am sure I saw certain 1.35V modules listed on the SuperMicro site as compatible with the X10SL7-F. Perhaps the switching is automatic.

I'm busy scrubbing, but when it is done I will reboot and check the bios. The RAM can do either voltage, so I'm not sure it will be automatic and might just default to 1.5V.

telvary

Cadet
Thanks for your tips/help. I'll go for the 6 Reds in a RaidZ2 configuration. Maybe i'll try the DDRL3, if I can get it.
I'll wait a month before ordering my MB, maybe I'll be able to find it ... If not i'll go gor the Asus =) (nice info !).

Status
Not open for further replies.