Home Server Questions - lots of questions....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stux

MVP
plug an ethernet cable into the IPMI port, work out the IP... then hit it up with a webbrowser.

defalt password is ADMIN/admin I believe

LIGISTX

Guru
plug an ethernet cable into the IPMI port, work out the IP... then hit it up with a webbrowser.

defalt password is ADMIN/admin I believe
You would think right... I have tried DHCP and Static, nothing has worked. I am using a known good ethernet cable (tried 2 actually) and I can't get anything to work. When I use DHCP I don't even get anything when I return to the BIOS, it doesn't update the BMC's IP address, and checking in my router has never shown a new device being plugged in, nor anything on the IP's I have manually assigned under Static.

I hope something isn't wrong with the mobo/bmc/ipmi.

Well, I guess you need to remove power from the server to get it to change its IPMI settings, seems to be working now.

Except now ADMIN/ADMIN doesn't seem to be working. Not sure how to reset the credentials either :/

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I'm the BIOS do you have the ipmi settings settings set for DHCP? If that checks out I would try resetting everything or flashing the latest BIOS and bmc.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

LIGISTX

Guru
I'm the BIOS do you have the ipmi settings settings set for DHCP? If that checks out I would try resetting everything or flashing the latest BIOS and bmc.

Yea I got it working, well I got it to actually set the IP correctly. Now I just can't login. ADMIN/ADMIN is not working :/.

Now sure how to reset this, or flash a new BMC.

LIGISTX

Guru
Little bit of DOS and I was able to reset the credentials. Sweet!

LIGISTX

Guru

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Looks like you have temperature and power supply problems. That is the correct log to look at.

LIGISTX

Guru
Looks like you have temperature and power supply problems. That is the correct log to look at.

As far as the PSU's go, I did just try plugging and unplugging them to see what would happen. the server has been on all week testing under AIDA 64 and no PSU issues since last week when I was doing these plug/unplug tests.

As far as temps go, I am not sure why it is saying that.... All CPU temps at least seem to be fine. It never went over 62C under AIDA 64. I can't see RAM temps in OS though to see what is up either way.

Stux

MVP
As far as the PSU's go, I did just try plugging and unplugging them to see what would happen. the server has been on all week testing under AIDA 64 and no PSU issues since last week when I was doing these plug/unplug tests.

As far as temps go, I am not sure why it is saying that.... All CPU temps at least seem to be fine. It never went over 62C under AIDA 64. I can't see RAM temps in OS though to see what is up either way.

You can see DIMM temps via IPMI. Ie look at the temp sensor webpage, and refresh

I'd investigate that Dimm temp problem. I don't get that on my system when thrashing it.

The BMC doesn't reboot unless you cut power to the box. It has a little flashing light (at least mine does). Green while its booting, flashing when it's slice and off when it loses power

LIGISTX

Guru
You can see DIMM temps via IPMI. Ie look at the temp sensor webpage, and refresh

I'd investigate that Dimm temp problem. I don't get that on my system when thrashing it.

The BMC doesn't reboot unless you cut power to the box. It has a little flashing light (at least mine does). Green while its booting, flashing when it's slice and off when it loses power
Under Idle they show as 32,32,35,35. Let me go hit it with AIDA 64 and see what temps they get to.

Stux

MVP
Could just be the thresholds are misconfigured.

Guess that's the joy of a used BMC ;)

LIGISTX

Guru
Could just be the thresholds are misconfigured.

Guess that's the joy of a used BMC ;)
It looks like the high level is 81C which is CRAZY high...

It has been running AIDA since I said I would start it, the dims re 38,38,45,45. Not really sure how hot RAM should be getting tho, but to me 45 seems a tad on the warm side from my normal desktop land brain.

Usually I would expect a northrbidge/southbridge to be in the 30's depending what chipset. CPU Idle is like mid 30's... RAM I would think should be in the 30's. But I am hitting it hard with AIDA, maybe 45 isn't out of the norm.

Stux

MVP
45 doesn't seem to hot to me for ram. You can even touxch it and not get burnt ;)

I have no idea what the limit is, as I said, my Dimm temp sensors have never tripped.

LIGISTX

Guru
45 doesn't seem to hot to me for ram. You can even touxch it and not get burnt ;)

I have no idea what the limit is, as I said, my Dimm temp sensors have never tripped.
Looks like the RAM has stabilized at 40,40,50,50. CPU Temps are also holding at "medium"

LIGISTX

Guru
So this is the version of memtest I should be using? The reason I am slightly confused, I created my own custom bootable USB, and it looks like the program I used for that had a version of memtest already included. I know one is more desirable then the other, although I'm not totally sure why or which is recommended. I believe this one is the passmark version.

4c945360225e30a5f1d10168ba0015c0.jpg

Sent from my jailbroke iPhone using Tapatalk

LIGISTX

Guru
For all those who helped, just wanted to say it's finally up and running! 8x4TB red's is large enough to migrate all data and then set up a second vdev! Passed all smart tests even after bad blocks was run. Awesome!!

18878687c2778714971d8409415e9603.jpg

Sent from my jailbroke iPhone using Tapatalk

asb2106

Dabbler
Looks great!

Dating back to some of the much older posts. I seen more than one person say don't build vdevs with more than 8,11 drives. I was going to do a z3 with 16 4tbs.. is that not safe?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

LIGISTX

Guru
Looks great!

Dating back to some of the much older posts. I seen more than one person say don't build vdevs with more than 8,11 drives. I was going to do a z3 with 16 4tbs.. is that not safe?

Dang, this is an old post lol.

I am not sure I am the correct person to tell you that. From what I know, I don't think 16 drives is an issue, but I guess the question will be, why so many. Why not set up 2 vdevs, both with 8x4 TB in RAID Z2? Higher redundancy %, and I think it would theoretically increase the speed of the pool.

That being said, I am not exactly the right person, and I would suggest you create a new thread asking your questions and detailing what the use case would be.

asb2106

Dabbler
Dang, this is an old post lol.

I am not sure I am the correct person to tell you that. From what I know, I don't think 16 drives is an issue, but I guess the question will be, why so many. Why not set up 2 vdevs, both with 8x4 TB in RAID Z2? Higher redundancy %, and I think it would theoretically increase the speed of the pool.

That being said, I am not exactly the right person, and I would suggest you create a new thread asking your questions and detailing what the use case would be.
Crazy. I didn't pay that close of attention Tapatalk introduced this as a "hot" thread. I'll Google around. I have to imagine some people have written up some thing good on the topic. Thanks.

LIGISTX

Guru
Crazy. I didn't pay that close of attention Tapatalk introduced this as a "hot" thread. I'll Google around. I have to imagine some people have written up some thing good on the topic. Thanks.

Lol, I use tapatalk a lot, and yea sometimes its a bit... uh.... wrong.

Last post was from Sep 2016 haha. Its all good though. I would just google it, I know I have read plenty of threads on it, I wouldn't know any off hand tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.