First FreeNAS build, upgrading from an RPi3/JBOD enclosure setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I'm upgrading my server setup after about a year of managing/sharing media and personal files on a Raspberry Pi 3 attached to a dual-enclosure JBOD arrangement of 2x 3TB WD Reds. The enclosure recently gave out on me (the drives are fine) so I've decided it's time for a solid upgrade, and FreeNAS seems like a good way forward. To get some insight from you experienced folks, I'll describe my expected usage for this machine, my draft of a parts list, and some related questions.

Expected Usage/Needs: I'd like to make better use of Plex, specifically to have the ability to transcode 1080p for up to 3 concurrent streams, although most often it will only need to transcode 1 stream at a time. In addition to Plex, I want the server to be running other plug-ins for automated access to Usenet 24/7. Finally, I'd like to have more confidence in my methods of data encryption and storage. Previously, I was manually encrypting (ecryptfs) and mirroring (rsync) my important files between my two drives, and then uploading these to CrashPlan as my off-site backup.

Current Build:

CPU: Intel - Xeon E3-1230 V5 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
MOBO: Supermicro - MBD-X11SSM-F-O Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
RAM: Kingston - ValueRAM 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (ECC; Unregistered)
Boot Device: Sandisk - SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: 4x or 6x 3TB WD Red in RAID-Z2 (haven't decided yet, see questions below)
Case: Fractal Design - Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: SeaSonic - 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Questions:

1) Do my build specs reasonably meet my stated needs, and if not then what downgrades/upgrades should I include?

2) Am I able to combine the two 3TB WD Reds I currently have (one-year old) with two new 3TB WD Reds into RAID-Z2, and is this a decent idea to mix old and new drives of the same type?

3) Assuming I include my two used 3TB WD Reds into my FreeNAS, are there recommended ways of transferring/un-encrypting the data off these drives (EXT4 file system) for eventual transfer to the FreeNAS? The only solution I can think of is to download my files from CrashPlan onto the new system.

Mod note: Edited to remove pcpartpicker link
- Ericloewe

Last edited by a moderator:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
1. Yes
2. You could after you get the data off them.
3. That's going to be a problem. Were these drives mirrored or pooled in the previous enclosure? If not then they may or may not be mountable in FreeNAS according to the manual.

Finally, I'd like to have more confidence in my methods of data encryption and storage.

If you are talking about encrypting your pool, don't do it. If you feel the need to encrypt your data do it on a per need basis as you have been. Too many users have lost all their data with encrypted pools and unless you have a company policy or law that requires it avoid it at all costs.

Thanks, so I'm also limited by having EXT4 formatted drives. Only some of my files were mirrored, just the directories that I wanted backed up. Given I'd need to format the drives before they are setup for ZFS, looks like I'll just copy the important files onto a smaller backup USB drive and eventually import this into my ZFS pool and later download the larger media files from CrashPlan when the system is completed.

If I encrypt on a per-file basis, are there recommended plug-ins or system commands that I should look into?

In addition to the encryption question above, I have a Supermicro question. I bought my new X11SSM-F-O through Amazon as the seller, and what I received today is a retail box with a few scratches, shipped to me in a semi-opened state inside the larger shipping box with the retail box flap bent in several places, with a packaging checklist inside addressed from Supermicro that describes the contents (e.g. "Retail Box for mATX and mini-ITX UP Motherboards", "FOAM 3/4", etc.). It's not how I expected the packaging to look like. Is this truly a new board? Is there anyway for me to know for certain?

Status
Not open for further replies.