First build

Status
Not open for further replies.

NASf@n

Dabbler
Hello FreeNASers,

It is my first FreeNAS/Server build and I would like to verify that everything is in order before I buy parts (except HDDs). I intend to use it as a media server with Plex (1080 transcoding with two streams max).

Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SRL-F
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1620 v4
Memory: Crucial 16GBx4 DDR4 2133 (PC4-2133) DR x4 288-Pin Server Memory
HDDs: 10 8TB WD Red shucked from EasyStore external drives
OS storage (Edited): IO Crest SI-PEX40062 SATA PCIe card and SanDisk SSD PLUS 120GB Solid State Drive
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black Silent ATX Midtower Computer Case
Fans: Fractal Design Silent Series R2 120mm Silence Optimized Hydraulic Bearing Fans (x3). So total 6 fans.
Power supply: SuperNOVA 650 G2 650W 80 Plus Gold Modular

Does everything look fine? The idea is to build NAS server, which will last 5+ years. I will run it in RAIDZ2 mode. Any advice is highly appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Please consider a real SSD rather than a DOM. The only reason to use a DOM is when physical space to mount an SSD is not available.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Seems ok to me, should work. How about a ups?

NASf@n

Dabbler
Please consider a real SSD rather than a DOM. The only reason to use a DOM is when physical space to mount an SSD is not available.

I would love to use a real SSD instead of a DOM, but it is not obvious to me how to connect it? 10 SATA ports on motherboard are already reserved for HDDs. So to use SATA SSD for OS I would need to go PCIe eSATA route? Any recommendations here?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I would love to use a real SSD instead of a DOM, but it is not obvious to me how to connect it? 10 SATA ports on motherboard are already reserved for HDDs. So to use SATA SSD for OS I would need to go PCIe eSATA route? Any recommendations here?
If that's the case you should use the Dom or get a hba card to create more sata ports.

NASf@n

Dabbler
If that's the case you should use the Dom or get a hba card to create more sata ports.

Any recommendations for a cheap HBA card? I will use it only for SSD. It seems like a messy way around for not to using a DOM.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Any recommendations for a cheap HBA card? I will use it only for SSD. It seems like a messy way around for not to using a DOM.
Check the hardware sticky.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The DOM takes up a SATA port anyway, so it's no different from a regular SATA SSD in that regard.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Eeeeeeeh. I mean, it's probably okay for a boot drive, but not something I'd use for data.

Status
Not open for further replies.