• Currently using VMware at work? We want to hear from you.

Thinking of making a switch from VMware? We'd love to hear your thoughts and feedback about which hypervisor you have been researching or already using. Click here to vote and share your thoughts! You can vote HERE!

First build

Status
Not open for further replies.

NASf@n

Dabbler
Hello FreeNASers,

It is my first FreeNAS/Server build and I would like to verify that everything is in order before I buy parts (except HDDs). I intend to use it as a media server with Plex (1080 transcoding with two streams max).

Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SRL-F
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1620 v4
Memory: Crucial 16GBx4 DDR4 2133 (PC4-2133) DR x4 288-Pin Server Memory
HDDs: 10 8TB WD Red shucked from EasyStore external drives
OS storage (Edited): IO Crest SI-PEX40062 SATA PCIe card and SanDisk SSD PLUS 120GB Solid State Drive
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black Silent ATX Midtower Computer Case
Fans: Fractal Design Silent Series R2 120mm Silence Optimized Hydraulic Bearing Fans (x3). So total 6 fans.
Power supply: SuperNOVA 650 G2 650W 80 Plus Gold Modular

Does everything look fine? The idea is to build NAS server, which will last 5+ years. I will run it in RAIDZ2 mode. Any advice is highly appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Please consider a real SSD rather than a DOM. The only reason to use a DOM is when physical space to mount an SSD is not available.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Seems ok to me, should work. How about a ups?

NASf@n

Dabbler
Please consider a real SSD rather than a DOM. The only reason to use a DOM is when physical space to mount an SSD is not available.

I would love to use a real SSD instead of a DOM, but it is not obvious to me how to connect it? 10 SATA ports on motherboard are already reserved for HDDs. So to use SATA SSD for OS I would need to go PCIe eSATA route? Any recommendations here?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I would love to use a real SSD instead of a DOM, but it is not obvious to me how to connect it? 10 SATA ports on motherboard are already reserved for HDDs. So to use SATA SSD for OS I would need to go PCIe eSATA route? Any recommendations here?
If that's the case you should use the Dom or get a hba card to create more sata ports.

NASf@n

Dabbler
If that's the case you should use the Dom or get a hba card to create more sata ports.

Any recommendations for a cheap HBA card? I will use it only for SSD. It seems like a messy way around for not to using a DOM.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Any recommendations for a cheap HBA card? I will use it only for SSD. It seems like a messy way around for not to using a DOM.
Check the hardware sticky.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The DOM takes up a SATA port anyway, so it's no different from a regular SATA SSD in that regard.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Eeeeeeeh. I mean, it's probably okay for a boot drive, but not something I'd use for data.

Status
Not open for further replies.