First Build Questions/Needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camaro192

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I'm new to building a NAS, but I've been building my own computers for many years now. I built a HTPC a couple of years ago and I'm now maxing out that 3TB hard drive. My "main" PC is also maxing out on space (mostly pictures, music, programs, and various downloads) so I'm wondering if it's time to spring for a NAS.
My uses:
  • HTPC is a Kodi front end with Windows 7 backend. I record a bunch of shows and then use MCEBuddy to delete the commercials and convert to MKV files. Though for shows that I intend to keep, I'm currently transferring the recordings to my main PC then manually removing the commercials, converting to MKV, then transferring back to the HTPC. Most of the hard drive is split between the recordings, the converted TV shows, and DVD/Bluray backups.
  • Main PC is largely pictures (RAW files add up quickly), media files, a bunch of programs, GoPro video files, and phone backups. I'd like to use the NAS for backing up things like my pictures, phone backups, and media files. I already use an external hard drive that I keep at my in-laws house as an off-site backup (I update the files on it every month or so).
I don't know if I even need a NAS or if I should just add a 4TB to each of the PCs, but I like the flexibility a NAS seems to provide. I'd be considering 4 x 4TB (WD Reds) with ZFS (RAID1). Since this only feels borderline necessary for me, I don't really want to spend a ton on the build (I would like to update my main PC sometime soon as well).

Some of the build options I've read about on the forums that I'm considering:
  • Supermicro X10SLL-F with i3-4130, Crucial 16GB ECC RAM (2 x 8GB), SeaSonic 360W PSU, Fractal Design Node 804, and probably a 16GB Flash Drive for the OS, or a cheap SSD if needed. Side note: can I use this as a headless server with this MB? That would be great if I can.
  • The other option I'm somewhat considering is a Lenovo TS140 (i3 ) and adding more ECC RAM.
What are the thoughts on either of those? One better than the other? Anything I should reconsider with either of them that would help or save money?

I've been going crazy between all of the options out there (and whether or not I even need one!) so I would love some help.

Thanks so much!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Side note: can I use this as a headless server with this MB? That would be great if I can.
Yes, of course.
Anything I should reconsider with either of them that would help or save money?
You can shop around for the motherboards mentioned in the Hardware Recommendations Guide (link in my sig) and see if you can find a cheaper one.

Camaro192

Cadet
You can shop around for the motherboards mentioned in the Hardware Recommendations Guide (link in my sig) and see if you can find a cheaper one.
Thanks, I did check those out. It seems like the X10SLL-F is the most recommended in "budget" builds as far as reliability and stability. A cheaper one would be great, I just don't want to regret that later on.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It seems like the X10SLL-F is the most recommended in "budget" builds as far as reliability and stability.
Sure, but it sometimes pays to look around. You might find an X11SSL-F + Skylake CPU + DDR4 RAM to be cheaper, for instance.

With 4TB drives you may want to add at least one more and look at a RaidZ2 at a minimum. Reading over this would be a really good place to start before thinking on how you want the drives to be setup: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

A HUGE advantage with setting up a FreeNAS is that for the storage you can have everything in one place rather than split between multiple computers/drives. But you will need to plan how much space you need available and how much redundancy you want for a drive failure. What you are calling a Raid1 in FreeNAS/ZFS would be called mirrors, which is great for redundancy but nets you one drive worth of storage. I think what you were thinking was a RaidZ1 which spreads the data over the drives and one drive can fail while having the data survive. Once you go over a certain drive size you have a higher chance of a second drive failing during a rebuild so once you get into the 4TB range you want to have at least a capacity for two drives to fail.

As far as the lenovo you are looking at from what I can tell it has 4 SATA ports so if you ever want to expand the pool you will have minimal choices and starting with a RaidZ2 pool you will have to purchase a HBA as there are not enough ports available.

Camaro192

Cadet
With 4TB drives you may want to add at least one more and look at a RaidZ2 at a minimum. Reading over this would be a really good place to start before thinking on how you want the drives to be setup: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

A HUGE advantage with setting up a FreeNAS is that for the storage you can have everything in one place rather than split between multiple computers/drives. But you will need to plan how much space you need available and how much redundancy you want for a drive failure. What you are calling a Raid1 in FreeNAS/ZFS would be called mirrors, which is great for redundancy but nets you one drive worth of storage. I think what you were thinking was a RaidZ1 which spreads the data over the drives and one drive can fail while having the data survive. Once you go over a certain drive size you have a higher chance of a second drive failing during a rebuild so once you get into the 4TB range you want to have at least a capacity for two drives to fail.

As far as the lenovo you are looking at from what I can tell it has 4 SATA ports so if you ever want to expand the pool you will have minimal choices and starting with a RaidZ2 pool you will have to purchase a HBA as there are not enough ports available.

Thank you for the detailed reply, you are totally correct I did mean RaidZ1. I was just hoping to not have to spend even MORE money on hard drives. I know having a NAS is super convenient and I will probably love it once I have it... but it's tough to spend all of this when my main PC needs to be replaced as well!
But I will read the article you linked, thanks again.

Yeah it sucks but rebuilding because a drive went bad and you lost the pool is worse IMHO.

But been there done that. My wife is disabled I have to take care of her a lot of the time and try to work when I can. Sinking a bunch of money into drives sucked but you can buy one every other month to spread it all out. Most of my build was done about 100 at a time. It takes longer but if you are buying some used parts the cost can be kept down a bit.

My build was designed for expansion later on and is a RaidZ3 with 7 drives at 4TB per. I will probably expand in two years to whatever drive I can find around 150 per and get seven more. There is also nothing in the world saying you can not use a bunch of smaller drives and expand the pool later. 8 2TB drives would net a decent pool and if you plan to expand to a second vDev you could increase the capacity just as easily.

Camaro192

Cadet
You're right, spreading it out would make it a little less painful. I already have two 4TB Reds sitting here that I bought last month, so that's one chunk already!

Camaro192

Cadet
Was looking for some deals and came across the Dell PowerEdge T130 (. I can get it with an i3 and 16GB of ECC RAM for $414... Seems like a pretty good deal. I know I'll be limited to 4 drives (maybe I can repurpose the DVD ROM space for another hard drive?). Couldn't find a lot of information on these in the forums though, not sure if that's a bad sign.
It says it has a RAID Controller (Embedded SATA) is that a problem for FreeNAS?

Anyone have any thoughts on this option?

Broadcom ethernet so that can be problematic.

The embedded controller should be fine from my understanding of the system as long as any raid mode is not turned on but I didn't spend any time trying to figure out what they are using.

You must have something to get a major discount though as the base price is for a celeron and by the time you customize it I was up around 800 for an i3 and 16GB of ram. For that I would just go find an old rack server that has a lot more space available and more ram capacity in the end plus no need to buy a different lan card.

Camaro192

Cadet
Broadcom ethernet so that can be problematic.

The embedded controller should be fine from my understanding of the system as long as any raid mode is not turned on but I didn't spend any time trying to figure out what they are using.

You must have something to get a major discount though as the base price is for a celeron and by the time you customize it I was up around 800 for an i3 and 16GB of ram. For that I would just go find an old rack server that has a lot more space available and more ram capacity in the end plus no need to buy a different lan card.

There are a bunch of discounts once you add it to the cart, and then a code I found online.
I saw that about the ethernet, but figured if it becomes I problem I could always upgrade that later.
But it's for sure the price in my OP for the i3, I could spend another $66 or so for the Xeon E3-1220 v5 3.0GHz I just don't think I need that. I could always put that towards a new LAN card.
So for $414 does this seem like a good deal? If I can't use the DVD ROM space for a fifth hard drive I suppose I'd be stuck with 4 x 4TB in RaidZ1, which I think I can live with.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
If four 3.5" drive bays are enough for your needs, also consider the T30, which has the bonus of two 2.5" bays, in case you decide to use an SSD for your boot device. And the built-in NIC is Intel.

Camaro192

Cadet
If four 3.5" drive bays are enough for your needs, also consider the T30, which has the bonus of two 2.5" bays, in case you decide to use an SSD for your boot device. And the built-in NIC is Intel.
Thanks, the problem with that one is that it can't be customized. So I'd be stuck with a Pentium processor and only 4GB of RAM.

Just ordered the T130. I'll update my post in a couple of weeks once all it and my hard drives arrive and I get it all setup. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Last edited:

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
the problem with that one is that it can't be customized. So I'd be stuck with a Pentium processor and only 4GB of RAM
For reference, there should be a Xeon option, though it may not be available right now, and it can accommodate up to 64GB of RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.