iRef's X10SSL-F Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

iRefugee

Dabbler
In a nutshell. I am attempting to build my first FreeNAS build. It will only be used to store and back up my movies, several devices (phones, tablets), documents, CAD projects, various graphic design files.
Aside from that, I'm pretty sure it can serve movies to a DLNA compatible devices in my home network.

This build will probably take me up to 6 months. Although it's a budget build. I have a new born and money and time is tight.

Estimated cost without Hard Drives $412

Main Parts
Chassis : Fractal Design Node 304
Motherboard : X10SLL-F-O
Boot Device: 250 GB SSD
CPU : Intel G3258 4 Pentium
Power Supply : Seasonic G-Series 80 plus gold
Memory: M391B1G73QH0-YK0

You are free to use my research or comment on Google docs.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...SyXt25KUelcPXba2AVWc_M_o40s/edit?usp=drivesdk

There is a question. Will this build work?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

iRefugee

Dabbler
If the CPU and RAM are supported by the board, then you'll have no trouble. SuperMicro boards are the most recommended.

You may want to consider looking at a X11 board. Check out the hardware recommendations guide for more ideas: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/
Thanks.
I matched the RAM model #s with the quick hardward reference guide and RAM guide.

I considered the X11SLL-F board, but I wanted to keep the price point low. I ended up finding th X10SSL-F on eBay for $110.

Next question. How future proof is this board? How long will it be before I absolutely upgrade the hardware. I know it might be a difficult question to answer. When it comes to server hardware. I assume it doesn't get upgraded constantly like desktop or workstations.

m0nkey_

MVP
Thanks.Next question. How future proof is this board? How long will it be before I absolutely upgrade the hardware. I know it might be a difficult question to answer. When it comes to server hardware. I assume it doesn't get upgraded constantly like desktop or workstations.
It's a server board, so you're going to get a few years out of it yet. I would guesstimate you're going to get at least 3 years out of it minimum. I would expect to keep it around for at least 5 years.

Stux

MVP
Node 304 is a mini ITX case.

iRefugee

Dabbler
If the CPU and RAM are supported by the board, then you'll have no trouble. SuperMicro boards are the most recommended.

You may want to consider looking at a X11 board. Check out the hardware recommendations guide for more ideas: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/
I keep thinking about your consideration to go with X11. But since I already have bought the X10 motherboard. I'm gonna cross my fingers in hopes the server will run smooth and not lag compared to my current NAS storage. The KD20 shuttle running Raid1.

Stux

MVP
The issue with the x10 is its limited to 32GB of RAM, where as X11 supports 64GB.

This will be the reason you upgrade one day ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, if it's been purchased, there's little point in messing with it now. X10 is still plenty usable and will be for a long while. Compressed ARC also helps.

tvsjr

Guru
Gee, I'm repeating myself tonight... don't forget some type of boot device.

iRefugee

Dabbler
Question about the motherboard and the available sata io's. Since the X10SLL-F only offers (4) SATA2s and (2) SATA3s. That leaves me with (6) SATA IOs. The Node 804 offers 8 3.5" HDD expansion slots. Could I install a PCIE SATA expansion card to fill up the 8 HDD expansion bays?
I would like to configure my chassis with (4) 2TB Western Digital Red and (4) random hard drives to ensure that I take advantage of the 8 expansion bays so that my vdev will contain 8 disks within one zpool.
That would make my configuration vdev1 - Raidz2.
(1) WD 2TB
(2) WD 2TB
(3) WD 2TB
(4) WD 2TB
(5) Random 500GB
(6) Random 1TB
(7) Random 1TB
(8) Random 250GB

Total: 10TB + 750GB Gross Volume

Example. From what I think I understand. If I replaced just the one (5) Random 500GB with a 2TB HDD I will still have the same amount of storage volume unless I replace (5), (6), (7), & (8) with all 2TB HDDs. Is this how it works?

I think I got the right terminology. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.