Files showing up before they are copied (weird bug)

Status
Not open for further replies.

skysurf76

Dabbler
I just installed a fresh copy of 9.2.1.2 (the same bug was happening in 9.2.1.1 as well), and with a fresh 5 disk Raid-Z2 array, I start copying files over from a Windows 7 machine (65 gigs or so), and when the transfer nears completion I am getting dialogue boxes popping up on the Windows machine telling me that files with the same name already exist on Freenas and asks me if I want to replace etc etc.

I have no idea what could be causing this. The array is freshly created before I start the transfer and is completely empty with no files in it. I have detached the volume with the "mark as new" checked several times and tried the transfer again with the same results. I can click "replace" and the operation finishes, but its a bit disconcerting that this is happening on a machine I'm going to trust my files too.

Richman

Patron
I don't think that it is a FreeNAS issue as I have encountered the exact same thing transferring files from an XP machine to a Windows 7 machine or from one drive to another on the same Windows 7 machine. I thinks for me it always had to do with files nested in a folder or files in a zip or archive and when I investigated, found it was files somehow linked to the file and/or folder it was nested in and the system thought it was transferred when it wasn't. So I found that I could just click the 'replace' option as you did ad all was well. I always thought it was a Windows issue but never figured out exactly why. I am fairly sure if has absolutely nothing to do with FreeNAS as FreeNAS was never involved when I encountered it.

skysurf76

Dabbler
Thanks, I appreciate the response. I guess I'll just ignore it. The reason I thought it was Freenas was because I just recently upgraded from a 2 year old version of Freenas and I never had this problem using that version.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Actually, I think the problem may be more insidious. Windows is case-insensitive with filenames. Unix is not. So filename.txt and Filename.txt are different to Unix but are the same in Windows. I'm betting that somehow you are overwriting files you aren't wanting to overwrite!

skysurf76

Dabbler
None of the files should be duplicates. What I'm doing is just transferring files back onto my Freenas system that I had backed up off of it from before I redid the system. The system started acting goofy so I backed up all my data, replaced some drives and updated the software, and now I'm pushing the files back onto it.

Richman

Patron
But you did say you were copying files back over FROM a Windows 7 machine. I am saying this for Cyber's benefit more than your since his idea doesn't have anything to do with my experience since clicking on the 'Move' or 'Copy' reunite does not change the case. If it did, there would be a MS gremlin or ghost in the machine secretly doing it. So, since you mentioned a Window 7 machine being in the mix, I am betting this is the culprit. Especially if this isn't a common issue in FreeNAS with other experiencing it. And I was mistaken when I said, ' the system thought it was transferred when it wasn't' As I remember now, I believe some of the files the error popped up on were transferd. So I clicked the Add to but replace duplicate names or something.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Perhaps your Windows box is using thiotimoline for its semiconductor substrate.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I too have run into this type of problem in the past and the only way I was able to get around it was to transfer the files in small batches. This was not a NAS transfer either, it was between 2 windoze machines.

Richman

Patron
I can'pt believe nobody asked me what a 'OTCUTR Wired network' is yet. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.