Fibre Channel and SAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug183

Dabbler
Ok, so this question might be silly.

So I am trying to build an NAS/SAN with a server computer and a 12 bay expansion chassis. The chassis is SAS so I will need an SAS HBA pci card (JBOD) to connect the server to it.

My question is can I use Fibre Channel to connect the client computers to the server.

1) 2gb Fibre cards are about $150 used on ebay. If I buy 4 of them and drop each one into a client computer and one into the server, and hook them all up to a switch... will this work? Will FreeNAS let me share the SAS drives over the Fibre Network? I mean it will let me do it with 1gb & 10gb ethernet?

2) Is this a decent way to get better transfer speeds then 1gb ethernet.

3) Am I missing something with 10gb ethernet? It seems awfully expensive, even used PCIe cards on e-bay are 300+ each.

Thanks for any help
Doug

RvdKraats

Dabbler
Hi Doug,

i was wondering this myself too. AFAIK FreeBSD *can* support FC cards, and connect some LUNs/extends/zvols to it, but it would require some manual tinkering. I'm not sure how that works under FreeBSD, however (i managed to do this with Openfiler). I connected my Openfiler to my IBM POWER4 through a Brocade 2GB switch, and that works just fine, my IBM sees another hdisk :)

Now, if only i could find out how to do this with FreeNAS...

joeschmuck

Old Man
Ok, so this question might be silly.

So I am trying to build an NAS/SAN with a server computer and a 12 bay expansion chassis. The chassis is SAS so I will need an SAS HBA pci card (JBOD) to connect the server to it.

My question is can I use Fibre Channel to connect the client computers to the server.

1) 2gb Fibre cards are about $150 used on ebay. If I buy 4 of them and drop each one into a client computer and one into the server, and hook them all up to a switch... will this work? Will FreeNAS let me share the SAS drives over the Fibre Network? I mean it will let me do it with 1gb & 10gb ethernet?

2) Is this a decent way to get better transfer speeds then 1gb ethernet.

3) Am I missing something with 10gb ethernet? It seems awfully expensive, even used PCIe cards on e-bay are 300+ each.

Thanks for any help
Doug

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=jfJcUPmJO4nj0gGcoYCgCg&ved=0CHsQ8wIwAg

Update: Yes, dropping a single card into each computer and the NAS, hooked up with a proper switch will increase your speed if you are already maxing out your 1gb port like I am.

Also, look at this (up top), not sure if you could use this or not but it's the least expensive 10gb ethernet port I've found.

To get faster than a single port you need to bind the channels together and FreeNAS must support binding which I doubt it does, but I could be wrong. Your max throughput from one computer to the NAS will be the maximum speed of a single connection, not the combined total, even if you ran 2 ports to the computer and 2 ports to the NAS, they are not binded together.

I looked into 10gb ethernet and it's expensive, too much for me. I would be happy if I could bind two 100mb ports together between my computer and the NAS so if you find that answer, I'd love to hear it so I can do it too.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
FreeNAS does support different bonding methods, your switch would need to support them too for most cases as well

Status
Not open for further replies.