[Feature Request] Official Docker Compose App

bigjme

Dabbler
Hi All,

This is a post just to draw attention to this feature request for voting:
https://ixsystems.atlassian.net/browse/NAS-118888

There is already a container for this from TrueCharts which does work well but I have followed a number of people asking about docker-compose and others concerned that the ability to run it will disappear over time and that its not "official"

This request is an attempt to get an Official app to ease the transition for those that do not wish to use the TrueCharts catalogue and to ensure official support from iX in the future with it configured to their standards

Please vote on this if its a feature you would like to see

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Hi All,

This is a post just to draw attention to this feature request for voting:
https://ixsystems.atlassian.net/browse/NAS-118888

There is already a container for this from TrueCharts which does work well but I have followed a number of people asking about docker-compose and others concerned that the ability to run it will disappear over time and that its not "official"

This request is an attempt to get an Official app to ease the transition for those that do not wish to use the TrueCharts catalogue and to ensure official support from iX in the future with it configured to their standards

Please vote on this if its a feature you would like to see

I'd also like to see if people want Portainer added?

NugentS

MVP

bigjme

Dabbler
One option I had considered and this may be too much to ask but would it be possible to have an environmental variable that defines if Portainer should be installed on first start-up of the image maybe?

For example;
By default a variable for installed Portainer was set to 1 during setup
If left as 1, during container setup the Portainer instance would be installed
If this is set to 0, setting would not install it

Giving people the option to keep something more basic if they know what their doing (i.e. no portainer), or have it installed out of the box if they don't or want the UI
Something people can opt to not-have, but with it installed by default for easy of access

stavros-k

Patron

Just to clarify something here, the docker-compose app is running in dind (Docker in Docker), where the "first" docker is deployed in the kubernetes stack, that TrueNAS Scale offers.

The mentions of "docker" disappearing, is directed on the host's "docker" (engine/backend).
It will most likely be locked and not disappeared, to avoid putting the system in a bad condition breaking other things.

Even if it's locked and/or removed, docker-compose app will still work. (As it's deployed on the kubernetes stack).

You don't have to worry about that.

Now if you'd like to have this "docker-compose" app from coming from iX instead of using the TrueChart catalog.
That's totally fine.

(Btw, a "portainer" app, will still be under the same "dind (docker in docker) format. Carrying the same pros and cons from the "docker-compose" app. At least currently, with the way Scale is setup.)

Just wanted to clear this up a bit, so people don't have to be in a constant worry!

Some folks over at level1tech are running portainer inside an debian VM and testing it for performance vs the k3s stack in SCALE. The numbers are somewhat promising, only the NFS sharing between VM and host makes me a bit uneasy.

Code:
Comparisons between the various methods I run Geekbench in a the various scenarios: In VM, Outside VM in Portainer as you set it up, and in the Native Docker I currently have running. These are the results.

## Docker in VM
https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/16708564
1 Processor, 16 threads
Single Core: 503
MultiCore: 5416

## Docker outside
 https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/16708864
2 Processor, 32 threads
Single Core: 542
MultiCore: 1232

## New docker setup, no kubernetes
https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/17034640
2 Processor, 32 threads
Single Core: 610
MultiCore: 9263

Daisuke

Contributor
This request is an attempt to get an Official app
I find the @truecharts apps very robust and their support is almost instant on their Discord channel. I personally run only TrueCharts apps, because all their apps setup process is uniform and they provide rapid releases, which is most important for me. Also, they have a dedicated dev team focusing on apps, while IX has the priority focused on on Scale, not apps. Which is the right approach. I rather have the IX team focus on Scale issues and bugs, not apps.