Failure to boot after "Successful" install from USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

LLL003

Cadet
I'm encountering an issue where after installing Free-Nas from one USB stick to another ( The target device being a 16GB SanDisk USB 3.0 model - so i'm pretty sure thats ok), proceeding to shutdown remove the install drive and boot from the target usb i get the following:
  • A quick flash of the boot screen from BIOS
  • Grub showing Free-Nas as the only boot option, then selecting it automatically after ~3s
  • A black screen, not matter how long it is left for. Not even a flashing cursor as in some other issues i've seen online.
My hardware is:

AM1-MA Mobo
AMD 5350
8Gb unbuffered DDR3 RAM ( Plan to add another 8GB once up and running)
No other hard-drives connected (Have also tried with)
SI-PEX40064 Sata III 4 port Expander (Marvell 9215 Based)

Any help or advice would be appreciated

joeschmuck

Old Man
Some basic questions... (also noted in our forum rules)

1) What version of FreeNAS are you running?
2) Did you install UEFI? If yes, try the other version.

Lastly, your processor is an APU vice a CPU and on some AMD APUs the FreeNAS software does not work. I'm not saying this is your case but you should be aware. Also, you probably already know that your system doe snot conform to the required hardware specs but I'm not going to beat on you for that.

LLL003

Cadet
1) 9.10.1
2) I'll do that momentarily, waiting for download...

Yeah, i know my HW isnt really up to spec, but its a budget build. I think it may well be that its an APU, as unRaid works perfectly so far, except for some funny buisness on my flash drive.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Pardon my ignorance(?) joe, but what does this mean? The other version?
Legacy BIOS mode, but I wouldn't call it another version. More like a different bootloader.

Anyway, UEFI systems (that is, with UEFI installations) have a borked console in 9.10.1. This has been hopefully fixed in 9.10.1-U1, released earlier today.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Pardon my ignorance(?) joe, but what does this mean? The other version?
Yea, after watching the debate last night, my brain was mush this morning so I couldn't remember the word Legacy. I'm still tired.

And true, just the other bootloader version.

Status
Not open for further replies.