Failed to download plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

D G

Explorer
Hello all,

I am new to the forum, but I've been reading extensively over the past few months to get ready for my build. It will be used at my home to backup files, hold backup images of my computers, and (very importantly) run Plex Media Server. I just put it together this week, but now I am having some troubles with Plugins. For reference, my build consists of:

Supermicro X10SEA-O LGA 1150 Motherboard
Intel Pentium G3420 3.2 GHz
16 GB (2x8GB) Kingston ValueRAM 1333 MHz DDR3 PC3-10666 ECC
16GB USB 2.0 SanDisk Cruzer Fit (boot flash stick)
6x3TB WD Red drives (in RaidZ2)

I installed the latest download of FreeNAS (FreeNAS-9.2.1.5-RELEASE-x64) using dd to create the bootable USB. Then I created my volume, a dataset to hold my media, set the permissions to allow guest login, created a CIFS share with the Media dataset, then went to install the Plex Media Server plug in. I made several different attempts with slight differences in my procedure, but the latest (described above) ended up with this:

May 16 20:16:40 freenas manage.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /sbin/ping -q -t 2 -o 192.168.1.1
May 16 20:16:41 freenas manage.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /sbin/ping -q -t 2 -o 192.168.1.2
May 16 20:16:47 freenas manage.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /sbin/ping -q -t 2 -o 192.168.1.1
May 16 20:16:48 freenas manage.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /sbin/ping -q -t 2 -o 192.168.1.2
May 16 20:17:13 freenas manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: Failed to download plugin]

May 16 20:17:59 freenas create_system_datasets.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /sbin/zfs list -H 'Prometheus/.system'
May 16 20:17:59 freenas create_system_datasets.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /sbin/zfs list -H 'Prometheus/.system/samba4'
May 16 20:17:59 freenas create_system_datasets.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /sbin/zfs list -H 'Prometheus/.system/syslog'
May 16 20:17:59 freenas create_system_datasets.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /sbin/zfs list -H 'Prometheus/.system/cores'
May 16 20:17:59 freenas create_system_datasets.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /sbin/sysctl kern.corefile='/mnt/Prometheus/.system/cores/%N.core'
May 16 20:18:15 freenas manage.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /sbin/ping -q -t 2 -o 192.168.1.1
May 16 20:18:16 freenas manage.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /sbin/ping -q -t 2 -o 192.168.1.2
May 16 20:18:21 freenas manage.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /sbin/ping -q -t 2 -o 192.168.1.1
May 16 20:18:22 freenas manage.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /sbin/ping -q -t 2 -o 192.168.1.2

May 16 20:18:53 freenas manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: Failed to download plugin]

All I get is "Error: Failed to download plugin". I've reinstalled FreeNAS a few times, trying different things like first creating a dataset for the jails and configuring it as the root for jails, not doing that (it seems FreeNAS will automatically make a dataset for the jails if you haven't already assigned one). I tried installing other plugins first, and sometimes I was able to do so (I got CouchPotato to install once), but then I still couldn't download the Plex Media Server plugin. I also tried installing the Transmission plugin, but that couldn't download either.

I'm hoping there is something simple that I am missing, because I really need this to work! I appreciate any help that you guys can provide, hopefully sooner rather than later.

TL;DR, on a fresh install of FreeNAS 9.2.1.5, trying to install the plexmediaserver plugin results in "Error: Failed to download plugin" error popping up at the top of the GUI.

Wanderer89

Cadet
I'm having the same issues, as are two others in this possibly related thread. Either we're all being collectively ignorant, (this being my first post here, entirely plausible on my side)..

Or something is up. I am able to install the htpcmanager plugin without issue, as well as uninstall and reinstall on demand. However the sickbeard plugin appeared to install but never produced a homepage, while plex and transmission both sent back "failed to download plugin" as you described. Will post logs shortly, but my system is quite similar;

Bmck26

Dabbler
I'm having the same issue with Plex Media Server and Transmission. I've done a couple of clean installs but I get the same "Error: Failed to download plugin" message every time I try to install either Plex or Transmission. It installed minidlna and subsonic fine, however. Now it skips directly to step 3/4 Creating Jail but still stops with the same error message. I'm going to try and manually install it in hopes that I can get it to work.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't know.. I've had no problems. /shrug

@Bmck26 -

I hope you realize that the system in your signature is a system that has ECC RAM installed but is paired with a motherboard that has a chipset that doesn't support ECC RAM. So you have no ECC protections with that setup. You'll need to get a motherboard with a server-grade chipset if you want ECC function. I can tell from that model number that it uses a Q87 chip, which is not a chip that supports ECC.

madik

Explorer
I have the same issues. I have fresh intallation of FreeNAS 9.2.15. Two days ago i was able to install Transmission and Plexmediaserver but today i wanted to install 2nd copy of Transmission and other plugins and Iam getting the error as D G in first post. It cant download the plugin.
But for example (didnt try every plugin) the miniDLNA plugin can be installed without an issue.

May 17 14:29:16 freenas manage.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /sbin/ping -q -t 2 -o 192.168.1.134
May 17 14:29:20 freenas manage.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /sbin/ping -q -t 2 -o 192.168.1.134
May 17 14:29:24 freenas manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: Failed to download plugin]
May 17 14:29:30 freenas manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:526] Couldn't retrieve https://192.168.1.127/plugins/plexmediaserver/1/_s/treemenu: timed out
May 17 14:29:30 freenas manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:526] Couldn't retrieve https://192.168.1.127/plugins/transmission/2/_s/treemenu: timed out
May 17 14:29:30 freenas manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:526] Couldn't retrieve https://192.168.1.127/plugins/minidlna/3/_s/treemenu: timed out

D G

Explorer
I don't know.. I've had no problems. /shrug

Cyberjock, I'm very glad you chimed in. You are truly a sage on here. We can see the list of available plugins, so we do have internet access, but there seems to be some glitch between me and whatever server it is trying to download Plex from. Do you have any ideas what might be causing it?

lingyunzjdt

Cadet
I have the exact same problem. Both Transmission and Plex have this download problem, while minidlna installs fine. Are they from different server ?

Metalcraft

Dabbler
I am having the same issue too. I was able to install it yesterday ok. Today I am trying to installed it again and I am getting the same errors too.
May 17 09:45:46 medianas manage.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /sbin/ping -q -t 2 -o 192.168.100.6
May 17 09:45:55 medianas manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: Failed to download plugin]

John Richardson

Explorer
Hi All,

I'm having the same issue - just transmission and plex are not installing.... has anyone come up with a fix?

D G

Explorer
I tried again this morning and can install HTPCManager, MiniDLNA, Maraschino, and CouchPotato just fine, but still cannot install plexmediaserver, firefly, nor transmission...same error as before

May 17 08:10:37 freenas manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: Failed to download plugin]

ozruiz

Cadet
It's happening to me as well with transmission and plex. downloaded and installed CP, SB, and SAB perfectly fine. Would really like some help with this.

Bmck26

Dabbler
I successfully install the Plex PBI manually. It actually didn't take much more time than installing it through the Plugins menu. I went to "Installing FreeNAS PBI's" in the user guide, download the PBI, and follow the simple instructions for creating a jail and uploading the plugin.

Wanderer89

Cadet
I successfully install the Plex PBI manually. It actually didn't take much more time than installing it through the Plugins menu. I went to "Installing FreeNAS PBI's" in the user guide, download the PBI, and follow the simple instructions for creating a jail and uploading the plugin.
Thx Bmck26. Go to http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Installing_FreeNAS®_PBIs for instructions to do it manually. You can download the plugins from here http://www.freenas.org/downloads/plugins/9/x64/
Trying it later today when I get home.

Thanks for the tip, worked right away for both plex and transmission.

D G

Explorer
I can confirm that the manual install works great. I had no idea you could install them so easily. The instructions above work like a charm. I feel a little silly for not trying that myself. Guess that's evidence that I'm new. Oh well. Live and learn. Thank you everyone.

I do still think that someone needs to fix whatever server hosts the plex and transmission files. Seems like that should't be too hard of a fix.

D G

Explorer
I had some problems with the latest release of transmission, but I did the previous version and it runs great.

Status
Not open for further replies.