Extremely poor performance from Intel 750 PCIe NVMe when no SLOG used - CTL_DATAMOVE errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

beezel

Dabbler
I am re configuring one of our SuperMicro boxes, which connects via 4x 1gbE to ESXi 6.0u2. We had a slow/crappy SSD SLOG for an 8 disk raid10, and decided to replace it as well as add in 2 Intel 750 PCIe NVMe cards. They do have their own full 8x PCIe channel, even though they only require 4x.

If I put on of them as SLOG for our 8x platter raid10, and perform a 5VM write test using VMware IOanaylzer fling (IOmeter with an interface), I am able to absolutely 100% saturate all 4 nics. The graph is one solid line at 500MBps.

However, if I make a mirror pool with both the 750s (and no SLOG, since they're so fast as per this thread I started: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...rc-recommended-with-very-fast-ssd-zpool.47382), the pool suffers hugely and my log is full of CTL_DATAMOVE (ctl_datamove: tag 0x6336669 on (9:3:6) aborted) errors on the FreeNAS side. Peak transfer rates are around 375MBps, but what is very worrying is that when the CTL_DATAMOVE errors hit, it absolutely freezes and drops. My ESXi graphs are bursts and complete pauses. Using a VM on the datastore is full of major hiccups. During this time of CTLs and pauses, gstat shows 100% busy on the devices, with 500iops (rock steady, does not fluctate) and 0 on all other counters. zpool iostat shows no activity. For the few moments that things are going well, gstat shows 4000+ iops and has typical (actual) values for other fields.

For testing, I put a Crucial MX550 as a SLOG to that 750 pool, and performance was great. The MX550 is only capable of about 150MBps, but its rock steady with 0 hiccups and no CTL_DATAMOVE errors.

Anything I can do/provide to help troubleshoot? This is latest 9.10 U4. I started with 0 autotune features, and then enabled it (plus 2 reboots to be positive they were in effect). No change.

We are past returning the 750s, and I would hate to have a blazing fast pool fronted by a crappy MX550 just to maintain it being up. Has anyone had these issues before with this drive, or SSDs in general? I am planning on trying 1 SSD pool no slog, 1 SSD pool with 1 SSD slog, and then trying the same configuration with the MX550 as a pool alone and then with a 750 SLOG. Unfortunately, we have a very slow vmotion environment and getting 500GB of test vms around multiple pools takes me hours. I am really hoping someone can help me out before I spend all that time testing.

I have attached a picture of the pure 750 (no SLOG) and then the 750s with the MX550 SLOG, performing the same test. I don't have a cap of my 8x raid10 with a 750 SLOG, but it was as solid as the MX550 slog except at 525MBPs solid.

Attachments

• 750andMX.PNG
    750andMX.PNG
    48.3 KB · Views: 393
  • debug-tpczfs2-20161123141122.tgz
    510.7 KB · Views: 393

beezel

Dabbler
We have another (identical) supermicro box, also with the 750s in a vdev, but they have a SLOG infront of them. This pool was actually on my list of tasks, I was going to remove the SLOG and use it elsewhere. After seeing the issues I'm having now on this box, I removed the SLOG and tried a few big copy/pushes on the VMs running on that datastore. Exact same behavior. Starts fast, chokes and pukes with CTL_DATAMOVE errors, then bursts, then chokes.

This 2nd supermicro box is 9.10.1, but uses 10GBe (intel x520-da2) directly connected.

There is obviously some kind of big issue at play here - any help?

beezel

Dabbler
Disabling trim via loader.conf has resolved the issue, but at what cost?

Sakuru

Guru
Are the 750's running the latest firmware?

Status
Not open for further replies.