SLOG on Supermicro X9DRI-F

Status
Not open for further replies.

dturner71.dt

Explorer
Ok. So I've read up on SLOG and using an M2 SSD with cache feature is desirable. I'm not able to use an M2 SSD without buying the expensive PCIe Intel 750.
Would an Intel 750 SSD SATA be advisable or would performance be critical with the extra steps required to covert via sata?
I currently have a Samsung Evo 850 256GB SSD and a Samsung Pro 840 256GB SSD. I would of like to use one of these for a SLOG, but after reading up on performance hits, not really wanting to got that route. I will be using the EVO as a boot device for now.

Thanks guys.

Dustin

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It depends on what you need. The S3700 may be enough for some workloads.

I currently have a Samsung Evo 850 256GB SSD and a Samsung Pro 840 256GB SSD. I would of like to use one of these for a SLOG, but after reading up on performance hits,
It's not really about performance, it's power loss protection. Since the ZIL is needed exactly in the sort of scenario that involves a power loss, it tends to defeat the purpose of the ZIL to have an SLOG device with no PLP.

tvsjr

Guru
I run a SATA S3700 as a SLOG for my VMware NFS workload... about 40 VMs on a 12 drive array. It works well. Certainly not the fastest option, but it's all a matter of what you want to pay.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Disable sync on the dataset if you want performance gains. Add a slog if you want performance gains and power loss protection.

tvsjr

Guru
Disable sync on the dataset if you want performance gains.
Just keep in mind this puts your data at extreme risk if a power failure occurs.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Depends on the application. VMs wouldn't take kindly to it at all.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Just keep in mind this puts your data at extreme risk if a power failure occurs.
Yeah exactly what I said. If you care about power failure then use a good slog device.

Status
Not open for further replies.