Extra SATA

daniel87655

Dabbler
Hi All.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas.
Thank you for your help in advance.

I have just been updating my NAS, cleaning out and so on, and was going to add two new drives but have run out of SATA ports.

What is the easiest option for a SATA controller Card. I have seen lost of threads about this but no real options or cards sujested and all require a but of work. Looking for just plug in and off we go if possible.

Was looking at this card.

Asus motherboard model attached.

Or if anyone has any other options that are know to work please let me know.

Would like 4 ports for further expansion if needed. Speed isn't an issue just storage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211230-154136_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20211230-154136_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 112

jgreco

Resident Grinch
In general, SATA cards are NOT a good idea. Please refer to

If you find a supported chipset that is NOT a knockoff chipset, made by a major manufacturer, does not contain a SATA PM, and has sufficient PCIe capacity, it's got a good chance of working, but you'll still be limited to just a few extra ports.

The correct way to add ports is to use a SAS HBA. Which terrifies people who've never used them, so here's what you need to know:

HBA's on the used market are typically fairly cheap, often cheaper than a brand new name brand SATA card. Some eBay sellers specialize in selling ready-to-use HBA's with the proper firmware already installed.

Some tips for buying on eBay:

daniel87655

Dabbler
Hi Jgreco

thank you for the replay.

I found this, is this what you where talking about. It seems to be formatted in IT mode which I think is correct from the documentation, so this should be just plug in and off you go yeah.

Look at this on eBay

The cables provided look like you can have 8 drives is this true, just a dismissed speeds I assume.

Etorix

Wizard
Yes, this is representative of what you want—but make sure the cables are short (≤50 cm), 70-100 cm cables are for SAS and may cause issues with SATA drives. No issue with speed… if the card has enough PCIe lanes: It's nominally x8.