another newb hardware question

senile32nd

Cadet
Hi All,
Looking to set up our first NAS for home and Home office use. we are not in need of massive space but need a couple of TB of storage for deep backup, and 1TB for continual access. Might dual use as a VMS machine for surveillance on our buildings (4 cameras 1080p/4k running H.264). we have a 10GB network throughout our home office that is on the Ubiquiti system.

looking at either getting a used shallow depth server case https://www.silverstonetek.com
will their (Backplane support for 4 port SAS / SATA drives and 12 Gb/s Mini-SAS SFF-8087***) work with TrueNAS? or simply use Motherboard SATA ports bypassing the backplane or use an HBA card?

Motherboard options that support ECC
  1. AMD Asrock Rack x470D4U as it has more than enough SATA ports if that is the answer to the previous question
  2. Intel Asrock Rack E3C242D4U Xeon based and less expensive and still enough SATA
  3. better options?

• ill likely add an SFP 10G card to attach to a managed switch
  • 32GB of ECC DD4
  • 4 HDD on SATA
  • 2 SSD on SATA as well for OS and cache/pooling etc.

any issues here?

senile32nd

Cadet
attached is my new egg cart for validation as well

Attachments

• Newegg.com Shopping Cart.pdf
    719.4 KB · Views: 116

Etorix

Wizard
The fanless ATX PSU in 3U case looks strange.
What is the purpose of the two 2 TB SATA SSD? Mirror pool for VMs? You don't have enough RAM to consider a L2ARC.
No boot drive in the list, but you possibly own a small old SSD to be recycled for boot.

senile32nd

Cadet
the PSU selection was just for efficiency and price. SSDs thought I could use them in a pool for faster read and write times before offloading to hdd.

i will look for used stuff on eBay if my initial plan is sound. i am open to suggestions though.

senile32nd

Cadet
There are so many options I fear I may miss a better way to spend my money. What do you all think of these options? AMD vs intel Xeon for exc support. Roughly all in fir about 2k usd

Etorix

Wizard
My comment about the PSU was about:
1) a consumer ATX size in rackmount chassis;
2) evacuating the heat of a passive unit.
Check whether it fits, mechanically and most importantly with respect to cooling design.

A SSD pool should indeed be faster than a HDD one. But "offloading" has to be by manual transfer; ZFS will not handle caching of "hot" elements on a faster vdev.
A SSD mirror pool may serve as VM pool (or container pool for SCALE). But then 2 TB is possibly too large—or then the CPU is too small for the load.
SSDs can serve as 'special vdev' to hold metadata, speeding up a number of operations on the pool. But then they are absolutely pool critical, so 3-way or even 4-way mirror would be advisable. And, again, 2 TB looks massively oversized compared to the HDD part.

Intel gets a heavy nod for historical reasons, but there are enough happy AMD users here to validate a Ryzen build. (At least on CORE, AMD users do need extra steps to disable C6 state in BIOS, and maybe some other power-related settings.)