Dabbler
I've been running the same ZFS pool since 2014 on the following hardware:
  • MB: ASRock E3C226D2I Mini ITX
  • RAM: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) Unbuffered ECC DDR3 1600
  • CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v3
  • Host: 500GB SSD hosting Proxmox
  • Pool: 4 x 4GB SATA WD Red in RAIDZ2
  • Case: Fractal 304
Last month I bought (before thinking about it) 4 x16TB SATA WD Red Pro HDs from Amazon, so I'd like to expand my pool. Initially, I thought maybe to slowly expand the pool by replacing existing drives one at a time, but I don't know if my Proxmox system, with the max RAM I can fit on that board, can handle it. So I'm looking to shift my storage over into TrueNAS and relieve some of the strain my Proxmox system is under.

My thought is to generate two pools, one with the 16TB drives where I'll end up moving videos and other large files, and maintain the smaller pool for critical items such as our docs, photos, etc. Use the big pool to back up the small pool for a local "backup", coupled with my Backblaze cloud backups.

In terms of spare parts, I have a couple of SSDs sitting around plus a rust drive somewhere, but that's really it. Looking to have a solution that'll sit in the same office as my Proxmox system and gaming rig. I have a habit of overbuying, so I'm looking for advice here.

I feel like starting with a X10SL7-F with 32GB ECC and an E3-1240 v3 would sufficient, but my knowledge is lacking. I'm assuming my SATA drives are backwards compatible with the SAS ports and I can plug in directly, so that MB should provide enough SATA room for the 8 HDs plus the 2xSSD for TrueNAS. Only concern would be not enough RAM given what I think I want to do. Any advice? Thanks!