Help drives zfs pool disappeared

Mike77

Contributor
Hi,

My entire zfs pool suddenly disappeared and I found a small gold coloured heat sink on the bottom insider my server. Ik have no Idea how to troubleshoot this problem. Importing the pool doesn't work anymore and listing the zpool gives me nothing.

FreeNAS-9.10.2-U5 (561f0d7a1)
Supermicro X10SL7-F with Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 and 4*8GB Crucial ECC 1.35V DDR3 1600MHz
7 * WD Red 4TB Raid-Z2

NugentS

MVP
What are your drives plugged into - the board itself or another device as I don't see a gold heatsink on the board (assuming this is the right picture)
1629624158960.png

Mike77

Contributor
Thanks a lot for helping! Comparing your picture with my motherboard the heat sink on the bottom is missing. According to the manual of the motherboard this is where the sas controller is located. The drives are plugged into the motherboard. It's flashed to IT-mode.

NugentS

MVP
Then your SAS controller is probably overheating. You will need to put it back and hope it hasn't fried itself. If that doesn't work get an LSI card in IT Mode and use that. Or swap the motherboard. Data is likely to be safe

Or you could in the short term try the SATA ports - assuming your drives are SATA

Last edited:

Mike77

Contributor
Thank you! How do I put it back: Do I need special glue to glue it on? And do I need to remove the old glue? And how do I do that?

sretalla