testing sata ports on PCI expansion

Clexp

Cadet
Hi,
I want to speed test some sata ports on a pci card. I am new to bsd/trueNAS. I have a new embedded celeron board in an itx case, which has a nice large quiet fan. It has 2 sata port, I bought a PCI card with 4 further ports. I have 3*4TB Ironwolf drives. I ran bad block on the drive but I noticed some drives on the board took twice as long.

Hardware:
embedded Celeron j4005b asrock
miniITX case
Kingston 240GB SSD
3* ironwolf
corsair sf450 gold psu
corsair value select 4GB
PCI to SATA expansion card
breaking lots of wisdom here I know, first build that's not an RPI. Last time I built a pc was 2009, so I'm a little behind.

It seems the PCI card has 4 sata ports, these are arranged in 2 risers of 2 ports each. I had one disk on one riser leaving a port free, and 2 disks on the other riser, leaving no space. The disk on it's own riser completed bad blocks half the time, the other two.

There is still a sata port free on the main board, the ssd takes one . I wondered if the speeds would be comparable if I put one disc on the main board and one disk on each PCI card riser. I would need a sata port testing tool. A disk speed test would do the same as the disks are identical. If the speeds are the same then I think I could use it to make a pool. If the speeds are different I would need to think again. Anyone suggest a speed testing tool? I read about using dd with a large file of known size, but I would need to trigger and time the operation at the same time. Or at different times if each one is timed. I feel like there are cli tools for this, or some can be strung together?